PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can i install Ubuntu without having all my hard drive erased?

TheFalcon 2010
September 13th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I wanna install Ubuntu with windows xp (dual boot)no WUBI,but i saw some people on some forums who got their hard disk erased and lost all their data on the HDD when trying to install Ubuntu.So how can i avoid that?
my HDD (160GB) has 4 partitions C,D,E and F.my windows xp is currently installed on partition C although this partition still has 10.4GB free.so will i have to divide the partition C into 2 partitions (with partition magic)? or what should i do else?
Thanks.:)

garvinrick4
September 13th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Put in your Ubuntu install Cd and Use Try Ubuntu not install Ubuntu and when it boots up go to System/Administration to gparted open gparted and take a screen shot of in and upload it to this thread you have started and lets take a look. They will be sda1, sda2, sda3 and so on in Linux in Windows they use letters.

0N3
September 13th, 2010, 08:43 AM
There's an option when installing Ubuntu Install side by side is probably your best option

Felixcasmiry
September 13th, 2010, 09:00 AM
To install ubuntu without deleting the data do the following.
1. Have your ubuntu installation media ie. cd.
2. have a partition in you hdd with enough space that you want ubuntu to be installed in that case let's say partition 'E' (Note: Data on that partition only will be deleted but not the other partitions)
3. Boot your machine from CD, when you reach on the step that prompt you to 'prepare disk space' select the button named "specify the partition manually". Then you will see all partition you have ie. sda1, sda2, sda3.
4. Select the parition that you want to install ubuntu ie. "E" then follow the wizard.

NOTE: After you select E you must again create a swap partition (from partion 'E')of at least 3GB and select the remaining part of that partition to install ubuntu. The partition names will not be seen as in windows but they will be seen in lists as sda1, sda2, sda3 similarly to disk C, D, and E in windows where by C contain windows OS.

TheFalcon 2010
September 13th, 2010, 12:09 PM
There's an option when installing Ubuntu Install side by side is probably your best option

If i selected "Install side by side" in which partition will Ubuntu be installed?

oldfred
September 13th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Side by side will normally shrink you largest partition and create new ones. But if you have used c,d, e, & f then you may have used all four primary partiitons. You can have four primary partitions or one primary can become an extended partition that holds many logical partitions. Linux will install and work from the logical, so you only need to have one available partition to make as the extended to hold the linux partitions.

Also if you only have 10GB free in windows you do not have enought room. Windows will stop working (or slow down greatly) when it gets below about 20% free space. You can install Ubuntu in 10GB but cannot shrink windows too much.