PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What tv tuner is best?

xiroV
September 13th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I'm looking for a external tv tuner, and I can't really decide. Mostly because I don't know anything about the subject :)

I found 2 lists of tv tuner cards for Ubuntu:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Digital_Tuner_Cards

The DViCo cards looks pretty compatible, but sadly I can't find them in any online stores here in Denmark.

Can anyone tell me what specifications I have to look for when looking for a TV Tuner?

Does anyone have any personal experience with your TV Tuners?

mastablasta
September 13th, 2010, 08:39 AM
i had a winfast and it didn't work (although it should accroding to websites and some others i taled to). but i see a lot of people got the WinTV working.

generaly Linux support for Tv tuners is bad.

xiroV
September 13th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Yea, I've heard that the WinTV should be working too.. It would really sux to buy a tv tuner, and find out that it doesn't work :s

efren386
September 13th, 2010, 09:27 AM
anything as long as usb connector

me i buy under pmcia connetor realy stupid me.

IcarusR
September 13th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Happauge are generally well supported & work well.

I had a Hauppauge WinTV NOVA T USB, it worked well with my house aerial but was useless with the supplied aerial. Tried in several locations using different transmitters. Even tried with an amplified aerial without luck.
Ended up giving up & getting a refund.

Have also used internal pci cards, again Happauge & a kworld. Happauge worked well, kworld not so good. Both in server with house aerial.

xiroV
September 13th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks IcarusR!

I think I'm gonna go with a Happauge, and just hope It's working :)

jimmers
September 13th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I use a AVerMedia Volar A815,(USB) it gives me 41 TV Channels and 26 Radio Channels,
Have used it since Jaunty with no problems, using Kaffeine.

But best to shop around, as theree plenty more to choose from.

Luck