PDA

View Full Version : Simple suggestion to help new users

Webpit
February 16th, 2005, 06:07 PM
I've been a linux fan for a while, but like most Windows users, have been waiting for it to "come of age".

Recently, I stopped at my local computer store and while waiting to check out, I got bit by the urge to buy a magazine called Linux User & Developer, which had two cd's attached, Ubuntu and something else.

Well, I figured, what the heck, lets see whats new these days.

Now, I must say, I havent tried other "flavors" of graphical linux in ages, but this thing rocks! It's also my first time using Debian.

I cannot praise the ease of installation enough. And the Synaptic package manager, wow! And here i was getting mad because rpm -i didnt work ;)

Anyway, on to my suggestion.

New Linux users are frequently confused and frustrated [easily so] by simple things. Three key features the Ubuntu team could add that would make a world of difference for new linux users:

A "Tour" auto-launcher like Windows has when you first install it.

Desktop Icons to perform important initial setup tasks, crucial to acceptance are:

Install a Printer - Launch printer installer
View/Add Software Packages - launch Synaptic

Im not going to report a bug i found with the printer installer here, but the important thing is, a new user could spend days trying to figure out how to add a printer ;) and may just get frustrated and go back to Winblows.

I love this dist and hope that it succeeds.

Regards,
Mark

MaZiNgA
February 16th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Hmm sounds like a good idea...!

But you get a -1 score because you suggested something already implemented in Window$.. :P

Dylanby
February 16th, 2005, 10:26 PM
A "Tour" auto-launcher like Windows has when you first install it.

God how I hate that thing.
Actually, most of the little bubbles that XP pops up annoy me (yes, they can be turned off).

I'm curious as to how Mac OS X handles such things.

slackerj
February 17th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Sounds like a very cool idea.

Was a die hard SUSE fanatic before moving to Ubuntu; and after a new install (when KDE was loading for the first time), a "Tour" like window would pop up. And just explain the basics. Helped my father out when he first moved to *nix from Windows.

However the one thing that it really failed on was the quality of the "help" It went from one extreme to another. The information went from (l)user to intermediate user level. So it kind of threw my Father of track (can only speak from his experiance). So basically the quality and presentation of the "Tour" needs to be refined and specific.

A visual (as in interactive) representation of the information from http://ubuntuguide.org/ would do the trick. A very handy site to get the basics working.

With the suggestion of icons to preform the intiall hardware/software configuration would be a great help. As Webpit mentioned, a new user would be lost when trying to search for a "Control Panel" type of interface.

Have to agree with Dylanby on the bubble pop up thing XP does. Reminds me of a little child waiting attention...

"Click me! Click me!! Oh please click me!! YAY!!!.....Click me again!!!"...

:D

TravisNewman
February 17th, 2005, 04:42 AM
I think the tour is a decent idea, just not have it autostart, and DEFINITELY not keep nagging you if you until you watch it. If there's ever a graphical installation, Ubuntu could use a bottom pane similar to anaconda (though I can't stand anaconda) and play a flash animation (using code that would be compatible with the GPL flash player of course), interactive of course, that would teach you some basics. That way it wouldn't be nagging you after boot, but it WOULD be right there while you don't have anything better to do but watch the progress bar.

slackerj
February 17th, 2005, 05:37 AM
I think the tour is a decent idea, just not have it autostart, and DEFINITELY not keep nagging you if you until you watch it. If there's ever a graphical installation, Ubuntu could use a bottom pane similar to anaconda (though I can't stand anaconda) and play a flash animation (using code that would be compatible with the GPL flash player of course), interactive of course, that would teach you some basics. That way it wouldn't be nagging you after boot, but it WOULD be right there while you don't have anything better to do but watch the progress bar.
Thats an interesting way to do it. Could also build up anticipation for a new user, so once the installation is finished they are roaring and ready to get stuck right in it.

Would be really handy when downloading new updates to be applied before the end of installation. When you have hit your cap (3Kb a second instead of 150Kb) it would be very nice to have something to watch :D

KiwiNZ
February 17th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Yep its a coll idea , especially if a animated paper clip is included and a little bouncing doghttp://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

Seriously, I think an introduction guide is great and would help those new to linux. And to have it as an option to play while the OS is installing would be good.

Cheers

Clippy http://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif