PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problems with installation on laptop

middleofnowhere
September 13th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I currently run Ubuntu Linux 10.04 on my Dell laptop. It work great and I want to install it on an old laptop I have. It is a PlaidBook by Daktech. I first attempted to install by CD. After changing the settings to boot directly from the CD rom it loaded a screen with the Ubuntu logo with a little progress indicator. This screen will show for several minutes before the screen goes blank and no commands will change this. Tried burning a new CD from a new download -- same problem. Made a USB jumpdrive to load it and got more progress. After the same load screen in opens to a DOS like screen that says exactly this:

Linux ubuntu 2.6.32-24-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP (then the days date) UTC 2010 i686
GNU/Linux
Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS

Welcome to Ubuntu!
* Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ bn

from here I can type commands which bring up a help screen that is not helpful at all. I'm an absolute newb at this sort of thing and any help would be much appreciated.

mörgæs
September 13th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Welcome to the forum.

This looks fine. Can you enter startx at this screen?

middleofnowhere
September 13th, 2010, 03:30 PM
entering startx causes the screen to go blank -- much like when I was attempting to install by CD. A friend advised it may be a resolution issue, so I have tried all the screen resolutions before booting it up. It seems to have no effect. I guess I will try a different version of Linux now, see if I get any further.

Thanks

mörgæs
September 13th, 2010, 04:00 PM
That might be a good option, but also trying a few of the supported Ubuntu releases might help. 10.04 is not the best option on all machines.