PDA

View Full Version : Current DVD decryption technologies

baddnady23
September 12th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Is there any word on when linux will be able to handle RipGuard or ARccOS encryption? Any references to this I have found are dated and I cant sem to find any current discussions on it anywhere... I didn't know if anyone know of anyone else working on it :)

juancarlospaco
September 12th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Real encryption technology need to be open source, by definition.

Dr. C
September 12th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Depending which country one lives in breaking the DRM on DVDs is either a perfectly legitimate and legal activity or illegal.

baddnady23
September 12th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Correct. I just wish it was easier to do from within ubuntu. It doesn't seem to be an issue in windows :)

cariboo
September 12th, 2010, 11:49 PM
When buying an OEM system you pay for the codecs needed to decrypt content, it's included in the purchase price.

With a white box OEM copy on Windows 7 you don't get any of the crapware or codecs the other OEMs install, so you have to pay extra for the codecs.

mr clark25
September 13th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Correct. I just wish it was easier to do from within ubuntu. It doesn't seem to be an issue in windows :)

everything seems to work just fine with handbreak....

i dont know if it will work with the new encryption. im hoping there will be an update.

are there any movies out right now that use either one?

baddnady23
September 13th, 2010, 01:16 AM
everything seems to work just fine with handbreak....

i dont know if it will work with the new encryption. im hoping there will be an update.

are there any movies out right now that use either one?

I think so. I've been going through the very time consuming process of backing up my collection to iso format and occasionally I have been hitting on a disc that just would not copy, no matter what I did.

handy
September 13th, 2010, 01:24 AM
I think so. I've been going through the very time consuming process of backing up my collection to iso format and occasionally I have been hitting on a disc that just would not copy, no matter what I did.

On the very rare occasion I've struck a DVD that DVDShrink can't handle I use DVDfab Decrypter (also via Wine), it seems to handle anything you throw at it.

I recently went through my DVD collection using HandBrakeCLI & backed them all up onto HDD with subtitles (as my hearing isn't getting any better with age). Handbrake is absolutely brilliant, I was using the .svn versions as well, stable as can be, & never made a mistake.

Though all of these disks were free of any kind of copy protection by this stage.

[Edit:] Now that I think of it, there were a few out of the many, that HandBrakeCLI couldn't take from (copy protection free) DVD format to .mp4.

A way around this is to use via Wine - SmartRipper.exe - (old though excellent freely available software) & turn the movie into one big .vob file. After this HandBrake can process it with no problems at all.

There is probably native software that can turn a DVDs content into one big .vob file.

cariboo
September 13th, 2010, 03:33 AM
There is probably native software that can turn a DVDs content into one big .vob file.

I used vobcopy, which is in the repositories, to rip my DVD collection. There were 6 or 7 that it wouldn't rip, but Handbrake did the job on those. The reason I used vobcopy, was I wasn't completely happy with the picture quality when using Handbrake, even on the highest quality settings.

handy
September 13th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I used vobcopy, which is in the repositories, to rip my DVD collection. There were 6 or 7 that it wouldn't rip, but Handbrake did the job on those. The reason I used vobcopy, was I wasn't completely happy with the picture quality when using Handbrake, even on the highest quality settings.

Currently we run a few computers with high quality 24" LCD monitors. We have never had a TV here (over 20 years); we do like a good story though (only the odd person doesn't it would seem). :)

So when it comes to video quality & HandBrake? I have to say that it is incredibly rare for me to pick-up any degradation of quality from the original.
Which is great when considering the amount of compression I get when squashing a DVD to an .mp4 file of around 1GB.

I must say though, that on the rare occasion I have used a VCR to digital conversion, I have noticed the occasional red colour aberrations in the HandBrakeClI output file. Though it was never strong enough to cause me to reprocess the movie.

Anyway, all in all, after a LOT of use, I am so incredibly impressed with both the quality & the reliability of HandBrakeCLI. Once you learn how to use it, it becomes so simple to use (I use aliases so I don't have to remember the great long command lines).

Perhaps HandBrakeCLI brings faults that are only seen on huge TV screens? On that subject I can not comment. As it stands, I can't see me/us ever needing anymore than 24" monitors.

[Edit:] The following is the kind of settings I use with HandBrakeCLI usually:

HandBrakeCLI -t --main-feature -i /media/dvd -o NAME.HERE.mp4 -e x264 -b 1000 -B 192 -s 1 --subtitle-burn