PDA

View Full Version : What would you improve/change about ubuntu ???

cra1g321
September 12th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Ive been using ubuntu/linux mint for a good while now. 9.10 was the version that won me over and took me any from my errors and BSOD etc. Now i run 10.04 and LM9 (keep distro-hopping) and i am very impressed with the improvements that have been made to ubuntu since 9.10.=D> (everything except the theme lol)

Anyway i wanted to start this thread so i can see what improvements/changes other users would add to ubuntu if they had the chance to.

My improvements/suggestions
1. WINE preinstalled
2. VLC player as default
3. mwbuttons preinstalled (giving the user the chance to change buttons back to right)
4. Larger selection of themes
5. More than 1 browser installed by default or giving the user a popup or menu letting them choose between popular web browser. (this could be displayed during the install process or when the user logs in for the 1st time)
6. Change the default theme to something less purple (especially the default wallpaper)
7. Fix flash issues. Noticed theres problems (players not working) with flash for x64 users (not really canonical fault but would like to see this fixed)
8. Firestarter preinstalled (great and simple to setup)
9. Bring back GIMP
10. Change the update notifier so its less annoying and more like the Mint-update

These are just my ideas, i know some may conflict with packages or something, which maybe has prevented them from being implemented or most people maybe wouldnt like them to be done to ubuntu.

Please reply if you have any ideas of your own or changes. And if theres any of my improvements you agree with.

Thanks, cra1g321 :)

Bachstelze
September 12th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Go back to the old logo.

cra1g321
September 12th, 2010, 08:43 PM
didnt expect a reply so soon.

Yh i agree

Denis Krajnc
September 12th, 2010, 08:48 PM
1. VLC player by default.
2. Gimp by default.
3. Inkscape by default.

cra1g321
September 12th, 2010, 08:53 PM
1. VLC player by default.
2. Gimp by default.
3. Inkscape by default.

Thnx 4 the reply. I saw your wallpaper in the screenshot thread. Did you create it ?

rockprincess
September 12th, 2010, 09:02 PM
i would like to see a checkbox in the installer menu, where you can check/uncheck software that you need/don't need.

e.g open office, sure it's nice to have.....but i really don't need it if i was asked during the ubuntu installation whether or not i need it, i would uncheck it.

same goes for other software e.g "games"

cra1g321
September 12th, 2010, 09:03 PM
i would like to see a checkbox in the installer menu, where you can check/uncheck software that you need/don't need.

e.g open office, sure it's nice to have.....but i really don't need it if i was asked during the ubuntu installation whether or not i need it, i would uncheck it.

same goes for other software e.g "games"

very good idea. I like it :D

it could be called custom installation or something. Meaning the default install would still be the same. Meaning it would still be simple for new users

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 12th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I would not improve/change anything about Ubuntu. I haven't written a single line of code in 10 years. I will leave it to someone else to improve/change Ubuntu. :o

Spice Weasel
September 12th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Although VLC is a very good player it uses Qt (KDE libs). I do agree that totem needs to be replaced (maybe GNOME MPlayer)?

rockprincess
September 12th, 2010, 09:16 PM
yeah like a custom installation.

i'm surprised it hasnt been done before....surely there must be a reason for this not being implemented before....what do you think?

andymorton
September 12th, 2010, 09:19 PM
1. I'd quite like to see Ubuntu Sunrise as the default plymouth theme.
2. A better default wallpaper e.g. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UqUwVPikChs/SQcYyMpxYNI/AAAAAAAAHYI/pxEMyemmx00/s1600-h/88638-UbuntuFlowerWall.jpg
or
http://salvadorcamino.deviantart.com/art/Ubuntu-Reflections-25844482
3. Easy configuration of the login screen like in pre 9.10 versions
4. VLC as the default video player

cra1g321
September 12th, 2010, 09:23 PM
yeah like a custom installation.

i'm surprised it hasnt been done before....surely there must be a reason for this not being implemented before....what do you think?

Probaly think it would be too complicated for most users. Yh they should add it alongside the normal installation.

cra1g321
September 12th, 2010, 09:24 PM
1. I'd quite like to see Ubuntu Sunrise as the default plymouth theme.
2. A better default wallpaper e.g. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UqUwVPikChs/SQcYyMpxYNI/AAAAAAAAHYI/pxEMyemmx00/s1600-h/88638-UbuntuFlowerWall.jpg
or
http://salvadorcamino.deviantart.com/art/Ubuntu-Reflections-25844482
3. Easy configuration of the login screen like in pre 9.10 versions
4. VLC as the default video player

I agree with all your ideas :p

cra1g321
September 12th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I would not improve/change anything about Ubuntu. I haven't written a single line of code in 10 years. I will leave it to someone else to improve/change Ubuntu. :o

im no programmer and im guessing your not. So just pretend ;)
then say what you would change or improve

clonne4crw
September 12th, 2010, 10:00 PM
The old logo (although I do like the new theme better than the old Human one), VLC, WINE, and GIMP by default. Also, not having the Bluetooth and other services running by default. The installer should detect whether or not they are necessary. The moved title bar buttons have grown on me, surprisingly enough.

cra1g321
September 12th, 2010, 10:02 PM
yeah ive always had my buttons on the right, but it seems more natural or something having them on the left even though im not used to it.

MichealH
September 12th, 2010, 10:49 PM
If I could make ubuntu better then I would have a help button which will seek help automatically for the user using their preferred method. That can be IRC/Forums/Websites ect.

cra1g321
September 13th, 2010, 04:20 PM
If I could make ubuntu better then I would have a help button which will seek help automatically for the user using their preferred method. That can be IRC/Forums/Websites ect.

Yh this would be useful :D

Denis Krajnc
September 13th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Offtopic, but here's the man who created that amazing wallpaper. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1329193)

98cwitr
September 13th, 2010, 05:46 PM
1. Improve dual monitor support
2. Fix the bugs
3. GIMP as default
4. A better (more robust) media player than Rhythmbox as default
∞. Fix the bugs

endotherm
September 13th, 2010, 05:49 PM
i guess I would like some clarification/unification of the whole user-space/system-space/kernel-space paradigm. things like gvfs, userspace samba (nautilus-share), and network-manager. I understand why the current divisions exist, but it would be nice if we could span them in a more seamless fashion, or at least make the implications more evident. I'm tired of trying to figure out if a samba user has edited the smb.conf or used the rightclick sharing, or both.

and for the VLC crowd, all I can say is SMPlayer FTW!
https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/mplayer
https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/smplayer

jkxx
September 15th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Get rid of alsa+pulseaudio as these two just create problems and in the end deliver mediocre sound at best. OSSv4 (using as an example) is small, simple, highly configurable, and includes mixing built right into /dev/dsp so multiple apps can play sound simultaneously.

P.S. Credit goes to the ubuntu team for actually getting this atrocious combo to work in 10.10. In trying the beta I noticed sound actually worked this time around, even when multiple apps were playing. I had to get rid of alsa and pulse eventually to get better sound quality, but this time it wasn't because they weren't working.

Khakilang
September 15th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I am not a programmer and I don't know how to add or improve and its already as good as it is and I like Deep Purple.

limestone
September 15th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Get back pre-installed GIMP and ditch plymouth!

BrokenKingpin
September 15th, 2010, 06:11 PM
1. WINE preinstalled
2. VLC player as default
3. mwbuttons preinstalled (giving the user the chance to change buttons back to right)
4. Larger selection of themes
5. More than 1 browser installed by default or giving the user a popup or menu letting them choose between popular web browser. (this could be displayed during the install process or when the user logs in for the 1st time)
6. Change the default theme to something less purple (especially the default wallpaper)
7. Fix flash issues. Noticed theres problems (players not working) with flash for x64 users (not really canonical fault but would like to see this fixed)
8. Firestarter preinstalled (great and simple to setup)
9. Bring back GIMP
10. Change the update notifier so its less annoying and more like the Mint-update

1. Personally I have no need for Wine
2. Banshee / XBMC for me
3. Buttons are tied to the theme, if you don't like the button layout, change the theme.
4. I wouldn't mind shiki brave installed by default
5. There is no point in multiple browsers installed... although it should be Chromium, not Firefox
6. I would like Shiki brave by default
7. No issues here, but if there are for other people than having it fixed would be nice
8. Firestarter is no longer maintained, you should use ufw and gufw instead
9. Gimp is cool, but would prefer to have a more MS Paint like app by default, and anyone who needs more than that can install gimp manually (as it is quite simple)
10. Sounds fine to me

jaezcurra
September 15th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I'd wish to have Ubuntu recognizing my RAID 0, so I am not forced to use Wubi.

cra1g321
September 15th, 2010, 06:47 PM
8. Firestarter is no longer maintained, you should use ufw and gufw instead

Didnt know this, thanks 4 the info and for the reply. I dont think all the browser should be installed, i just think it would be useful if a pop-up came asking what browser you wish to install. I still prefer firefox :)

cra1g321
September 21st, 2010, 12:03 AM
Does anyone think all the compiz stuff should come on cd ??

or maybe a dock should be installed as default like AWN??

Frogs Hair
September 21st, 2010, 01:34 AM
Does anyone think all the compiz stuff should come on cd ??

or maybe a dock should be installed as default like AWN??

Docks should be optional , because there are many docks to choose from and docks are an accessory not a necessity .

Arsic
September 21st, 2010, 01:55 AM
I'm pretty happy with what we have and the defaults don't bother me as long as they're still in the repository where I can install them if I like them.

1. The ability to choose the Min/Max/Close buttons on the left or right, it shouldn't be restricted to the theme.
2. Make it customizable where the notification area pop up is on the screen.

inobe
September 21st, 2010, 02:19 AM
all ideas above can only happen if they would graciously "lose the cd" and move to dvd :!:

lets face it, it has to get bigger, the compact disc can't hold these extras unless something was stripped.

example: another distribution like opensuse, during the install i have the ability to add and remove packages "patterns"

kernel devs, compilers, multimedia, laptop etc.....

when the system is up and running im pretty much done minus security updates unless i decided to get them during the install process.

i say from cd to dvd.

Stan_1936
September 21st, 2010, 02:29 AM
1. More themes pre-installed
2. GIMP
3. The ability to remove ALL games at once....from the Ubuntu Software Center
4. A directory with 10 HOW-TOs automatically included in the home/documents folder. Examples would be HOW TO set up a network printer in Ubuntu with screensohots, how to set-up Skype in Ubuntu with screenshots, how to change themes/icons with screenshots,etc.etc.
5. Better driver support for ATI graphics cards

Tibuda
September 21st, 2010, 02:46 AM
1. get rid of the indicator applet
2. replace empathy with pidgin
3. replace standard gnome menu for cardapio menu
4. move the window list and the workspace switcher to the top panel and remove the bottom panel
5. move window controls back to the right
6. reinstall gimp
7. elementary and shiki themes

inobe
September 21st, 2010, 02:56 AM
5. Better driver support for ATI graphics cards

you have the best driver support for ati hardware, the o.s. driver is far superior against it's proprietary ati driver !

however that complaint should be directed at amd/ati for their proprietary driver because it's sad that an opensource driver performs and works better.

Austin25
September 21st, 2010, 03:25 AM
Eye candy and drivers.

Dragynn
September 21st, 2010, 03:29 AM
Fix the freeze-up bugs, there are thousands of posts on this forum about freeze-ups in 10.04, and no devs replying. Group-fix is not a professional way to deal with bugs. And it's not working. Get off the psycho need to spew a new buggy distro every 6 months, and make the current LONG TERM SUPPORT version actually work.

inobe
September 21st, 2010, 03:43 AM
Fix the freeze-up bugs, there are thousands of posts on this forum about freeze-ups in 10.04, and no devs replying. Group-fix is not a professional way to deal with bugs. And it's not working. Get off the psycho need to spew a new buggy distro every 6 months, and make the current LONG TERM SUPPORT version actually work.

not once have i ever had a freeze up, although i have a friend that did, his memory modules failed memtest.

now a lot of folks want to test on old used hardware, granted i feel them on the issue, they are new to the unknown and wish to experiment, however you can't be a computer savvy individual assuming it's just the os and nothing else.

no offense directed, it's merely a fact that good hardware is a must for any operating system.

TNT1
September 21st, 2010, 06:00 AM

+1. I have never written any code... All the stuff being mentioned here are not core changes, rather add-ons that some want and install, and some don't want and ignore.

cra1g321
September 21st, 2010, 02:33 PM
i say from cd to dvd.

Good point, i think that ubuntu would be better off on dvd, providing more preinstalled software and content but i dont see happening anytime soon :(

cra1g321
September 21st, 2010, 02:36 PM
4. A directory with 10 HOW-TOs automatically included in the home/documents folder. Examples would be HOW TO set up a network printer in Ubuntu with screensohots, how to set-up Skype in Ubuntu with screenshots, how to change themes/icons with screenshots,etc.etc.

i really like this idea :), could see it helping a lot of new users, saving them from searching round the internet for answers. It could also tell them how to perform updates, install new software, adding a PPA, installing themes and icons, performing backups etc

TNT1
September 21st, 2010, 04:28 PM
Good point, i think that ubuntu would be better off on dvd, providing more preinstalled software and content but i dont see happening anytime soon :(

Then get Mint.

Oh, and for some of us on this planet, bandwidth is a bit of a luxury, so less is more, and then we get the bits we need over time.

macem29
September 22nd, 2010, 12:59 AM
would like in default install a GUI Device Manager, a real one that displays and allows changing of drivers..
I'd say the one main thing that causes new users to give up and go back to MS is device install errors,
to a new user their is no intuitive way to see what is and isn't installed...some come here and learn some
basic terminal stuff, some say F that! wonder how many say F that that without finding the forums?

I really think this would help a lot in acceptance and reduction of negative feedback about the OS = larger market share

Slug71
September 22nd, 2010, 01:05 AM
Replace aptdaemon with packagekit.d
Replace apt with smartpm
Replace Rhythmbox with Banshee
Replace Pitivi with Openshot.

inobe
September 22nd, 2010, 01:13 AM
dvd, dvd, dvd, dvd, dvd.............................

v1ad
September 22nd, 2010, 01:17 AM
move default close buttons to the right,
gimp, by default.
wine -- never
have magnets be instantly associated with a torrenter.

inobe
September 22nd, 2010, 03:28 AM

most of the replies in this thread point towards more this, more that.

we can't have one thing without another, they will sacrifice another app for something else, this doesn't make sense, it makes more sense having these options during the install process whether from a dvd or repository during that point in time.

cra1g321
September 22nd, 2010, 07:48 PM
Yh i dont think they should replace apps for different apps. They should provide both or give the user to choose what software they want to install during the install process. Though as TNT1 said most people dont have good enought internet speeds or bandwidth to be downloading dvds

inobe
September 24th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Yh i dont think they should replace apps for different apps. They should provide both or give the user to choose what software they want to install during the install process. Though as TNT1 said most people dont have good enought internet speeds or bandwidth to be downloading dvds

not so, some folks don't, they are not the majority.

once again they can order the dvd if they have insufficient bandwidth however in the u.s that is not a problem.

if you live in the u.k. i can see why it would be trouble, but if you ever ordered a cd it's shipped from the u.k.

in fact this would benefit those with limited bandwidth because you have a 4.7 gig dvd loaded with packages, everything from server to multimedia.

again bandwidth is only an issue with some countries.

beew
September 24th, 2010, 01:28 AM
all ideas above can only happen if they would graciously "lose the cd" and move to dvd :!:

lets face it, it has to get bigger, the compact disc can't hold these extras unless something was stripped.

example: another distribution like opensuse, during the install i have the ability to add and remove packages "patterns"

kernel devs, compilers, multimedia, laptop etc.....

when the system is up and running im pretty much done minus security updates unless i decided to get them during the install process.

i say from cd to dvd.

Not everyone has a dvd drive. I don't really see the big deal of having to install or change a few software by clicking Synaptic. If you want something not bundled in the CD image, open Synaptic and click away. What is so difficult about it?

I use usb always.

inobe
September 24th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Not everyone has a dvd drive. I don't really see the big deal of having to install or change a few software by clicking Synaptic. If you want something not bundled in the CD image, open Synaptic and click away. What is so difficult about it?

I use usb always.

on the main site you have options, these options include usb, server, desktop, alternate, windows installer. dvd with more languages........

how much space is wasted on that dvd ? :lol:

DVD downloads

Don't be confused, even though DVDs can hold far more data than the typical Ubuntu CD, the main benefit of the DVD downloads is to get access to all of the available language packs. Most people will be fine with the standard CD installer. There are fewer download locations for the DVD images and this list is updated less frequently than for the CD images.

so lets take it a step farther and make that dvd much more useful ;)

crustyasp
September 24th, 2010, 02:29 AM
As a newbie with dial up and A:) not know that Linux had such a problem with software modems, make that problem more visible to potential users.

Put wvdial back on the installation cd and ppp? and kppp, I think they are overlooking potential users, and those that are in my situation, are very irritated as I am to find out after the install that this feature is put at the wayside.

Linux distros advertises that it isone of the best solutions for tired windows and to rejuvinate a computer, which I still agree with, but they also state that they are trying to attract all kinds of users, and those of us still on dial up are a part of those all kinds of users that they are overlooking!:(

lkjoel
September 24th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Ubuntu should really use OSS.

bra|10n
September 25th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Personally I would like to see more work done to overcome the disconnect between users of Ubuntu and the developers with regard to bug triaging and fix management.

matthew.ball
September 25th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Don't really have any ideas for anything to add, but please no WINE by default.

West201
September 25th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Change the name "Ubuntu" jk

ferrenm
November 13th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I'm not exactly a novice at computing: I gave up on Bill Gates's stuff in 1978, and am currently using my 14th computer. So I do a 3-hr download of Maverick Meercat 10.10. (the 64-bit MacIntel version, whatever its number), put it on a USB drive, and open it.

Ah, a READ ME file, just what I need. But it is only a list of disk defines.

Well, there's an 'install' folder, with 'mt86plus', a document, in it. It opens in Text Edit to tell me '∏¿éÿ∏

I'mGeorge
November 13th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I would really like Ubuntu could make me a coffee in the morning,with those ubuntu coffee beans. I mean already does quite a lot, why not this too ? If it could go to work in my place too now that would be amazing.

ferrenm
November 13th, 2010, 01:24 PM
You see the problem in my previous post: the text I was hoping would be the installation instructions included a stop codon which halted transcription.

The rest of the message took an hour to compose. You get the short version here. When you have instructions that an 8-year-old who has never seen *nix before can follow without errors, let me know, and I will spend another 3 hours downloading, um, 'Zonked-out Zebra'.

I admit to being spoiled. I use computers to crunch numbers. I want speed and 64-bit precision. I do not want to be a sysadmin. I pay twice the price for Apple computers because Steve Jobs has made sure that I can install anything Macintoshy by dragging A to B.

I find it annoying to have to search the web for installations instructions, then, when I find a forum devoted to introducing Maverick to Snow Leopard, to be told to begin by changing the boot order.

More web searching--and I learn that the easiest way to change boot order is to install Linux. This is no doubt true, but it is not *helpful*.

If it is really impossible to write a script that lets me drag A to B, how about *tested* instructions with the download?

Or just let me know when you have a working version.

TIA

c00lwaterz
November 13th, 2010, 04:20 PM
in my opinion:

1) better restore system
2) better ubuntu software center (remove the obsolete/not working software)
3) improve the wine
4) improve the hardware and OS compatibility (i don't know how ti will be going)

that's for now. :P

I'mGeorge
November 13th, 2010, 05:18 PM
in my opinion:

1) better restore system
2) better ubuntu software center (remove the obsolete/not working software)
3) improve the wine
4) improve the hardware and OS compatibility (i don't know how ti will be going)

that's for now. :P

1-ubuntu already has a really good restore system compared to other distros where in many cases there's none, but I guess there's always room for better.
2-sure this it's why they invented apt-get upgrade, and some software might not work because of some minor incompatibilities or most likely dependencies problems. You have to understand that using open source software it's a two ways road. In a way things are more versatile, personalized, faster and so on but on the other way there's a small price to pay as sometimes could appear small problems, but nothing that can't be fix with a little bit of patience.
3-wine ain't ubuntu business, cache out Wine HQ to see more about it
4-that's one of the aspects that's always in a continuous improvement, and not only in Ubuntu's case but it's a valid thing for any OS . As time passes other hardware components come to the market so the software it's always adapted to get along with it.

nothingspecial
November 13th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I pay twice the price for Apple computers because Steve Jobs has made sure that I can install anything Macintoshy by dragging A to B.

It`s your money......... mines in my pocket, not in Mr Jobs` :)

ferrenm
March 30th, 2012, 01:52 PM
How about a download compatible with OS X that doesn't need to be unixed into a .dmg to produce a cd/USB version that doesn't boot? Then I could try Ubuntu!

philinux
March 30th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Closed old Thread. Necromancy.