PDA

View Full Version : Laptop shut off during installation

roma1092
September 12th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Hey guys, I'm trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 Notebook Edition. I had done everything, the last step was restarting my laptop and finishing the installation, it got to about 95%, and my laptop turned off because the battery ran out. I tried to restart my laptop in ubuntu, and it won't work. I also tried starting it in recovery mode, and I get nothing. For the former, it just gets to the purple ubuntu startup screen, and for the latter, I just get a black screen with lines of command type which execute, but stop after a minute or so. What should I do?

Thanks in advance

roma1092
September 12th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Hey guys, I'm trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 Notebook Edition. I had done everything, the last step was restarting my laptop and finishing the installation, it got to about 95%, and my laptop turned off because the battery ran out. I tried to restart my laptop in ubuntu, and it won't work. I also tried starting it in recovery mode, and I get nothing. For the former, it just gets to the purple ubuntu startup screen, and for the latter, I just get a black screen with lines of command type which execute, but stop after a minute or so. What should I do?

Thanks in advance

sikander3786
September 12th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Only option in my opinion, Re-install. Can't know what got installed and what didn't. Re-install and this time make sure you don't run out of power :-)

kamicc
September 12th, 2010, 07:21 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1467853

:)

roma1092
September 12th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Only option in my opinion, Re-install. Can't know what got installed and what didn't. Re-install and this time make sure you don't run out of power :-)

Thanks, that's what I imagined as well. This botched installation shouldn't cause any issues, right?

I'll keep this thread open till I finish the installation, just in case.

roma1092
September 12th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I was installing Ubuntu for the first time alongside Windows 7, so I don't have to back anything up, right? I'm re-installing Ubuntu now from Windows 7. Thanks for your help!

sikander3786
September 12th, 2010, 07:28 PM
It shouldn't cause any problems. It'll be better to format the partitions that were previously involved in installation process.

roma1092
September 12th, 2010, 07:29 PM
How do you do that?

Sir John
September 12th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Well this has happened to me before the only thing you can possible do is reinstall it.

sikander3786
September 12th, 2010, 07:35 PM
What is your partitioning scheme? Use up entire disk or manual partitioning on the Installer's partitioning step? If you are using up entire disk, it will automatically format the drive otherwise tick the small box against every partition (not the one containing important data, in case there is one :-) )under the format columm.

roma1092
September 12th, 2010, 07:38 PM
What is your partitioning scheme? Use up entire disk or manual partitioning on the Installer's partitioning step? If you are using up entire disk, it will automatically format the drive otherwise tick the small box against every partition (not the one containing important data, in case there is one :-) )under the format columm.

Great, thanks!

roma1092
September 12th, 2010, 07:50 PM
All right, I reinstalled it, and it completed, but then it rebooted it right away and I got this sytem error message:

Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I have no idea how to proceed.

roma1092
September 12th, 2010, 07:51 PM
All right, I reinstalled it, and it completed, but then it rebooted it right away and I got this sytem error message:

Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I have no idea how to proceed.

Elfy
September 12th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Threads merged - please do not post duplicates. It dilutes help available to everyone else.

roma1092
September 12th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Sorry about that, I saw that there was a more appropriate forum so I reposted it. so, can anyone help me out?

sikander3786
September 13th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Post #6 was not here until your threads were merged. You didn't mention in this thread that you were installing alongside Windows 7. Backing up is always a safer approach and shows its worth if something bad happens.

How did the reinstall go? Successful...?