PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Desktop icons / Different Activity for each desktop

chip616
September 12th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I am trying to get KDE4 to function more or less like KDE3 as to its use of desktop icons.

I am using Kubuntu 10.04 with KDE 4.4.2, and I have set System Settings | Desktop | Multiple Desktops | Different activity for each desktop. That allows me to run a different background (wallpaper) for each desktop. This works as it did in KDE3.5. I have the KDE desktop cube enabled.

I am told that drag and drop from the kmenu to the desktop should produce a desktop icon just like it would in KDE3. This does not work at all. I can navigate through the kmenu (classic or kickoff style) to an app, and then right-click. I get a context menu allowing me to select "add to desktop" which does create a desktop icon, but ONLY ON THE FIRST DESKTOP.

Switching to desktop 3 or 4, for example, and doing the same thing creates another desktop icon, but regardless of which desktop I am in, the desktop icon gets created in the first desktop, NOT the one I am in.

Unlike KDE3.5, the desktop icons are only visible in desktop 1 where they get created. Moving to desktop 2, 3, etc., brings up a blank desktop. I've tried moving the desktop icons from desktop 1 where they get created, to another desktop. I can't drag them beyond the edge of the current desktop, even when screen edges are enabled. There is no option to move them to a different desktop in the context menu either.

So, I'm stumped. Surely there is a way to do this. Do I require KDE4.4.5?

Thanks.

Frank.