PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Primary slave problem

tbird6820
September 12th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I was looking in the disk utility and my primary slave has a few bad sectors, is there a way to fix this? I have attached a screen shot.

srs5694
September 12th, 2010, 06:22 PM
If I understand the message correctly, the hard disk's circuitry has found two failed sectors and dynamically relocated them. Your computer won't notice the difference, except that when accessing those two sectors, there'll be a delay of a few milliseconds as the head seeks, and of course the SMART utilities will report the issue, as you've shown.

There's nothing you can do to "fix" the problem; the hard disk has already done all that's possible. The big question is this: Are those just two isolated failures, or are they the first of many more failures to come? If your hard disk is just beginning to fail, you still have time to buy a new disk and transfer your data to it with little or no data loss. If you wait to replace the drive, you might luck out and everything will be fine; or the disk might develop so many problems so quickly that you'll lose data before you can get a replacement disk in the machine. Whether you want to play it safe or gamble that the drive won't develop more problems is up to you. Personally, I'd buy a new disk now and retire the old one ASAP.

tbird6820
September 12th, 2010, 06:36 PM
thanks srs5694, I have another extra which I'm going to use and discard this one as soon as I finish this post, I use this current HD to store all my important stuff and don't even want to gamble!

tbird6820
September 12th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I installed the HD and checked disk utility now I have all green lights.

All this time pior to installing 10.04 I use to be with xp and it never told me I had 2 bad sectors.......What a GREAT OS.

Thanks again

tbird6820
September 12th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Here is the new screen shot