PDA

View Full Version : Post your Mobile Device's desktop!

Cam!
September 12th, 2010, 02:37 PM
It's like the regular version...'cept smaller.

iPhone 4:

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/808/img0170.png

cj.surrusco
September 12th, 2010, 03:17 PM
At the moment it probably looks a little bit like this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3-XXVKjg6T4/S-ROwQLFvtI/AAAAAAAAASY/OqulLm9h5c0/S1600-R/BLACK_SQUARE.jpg

...Since it is lost, and nowhere to be found.

qalimas
September 12th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Rooted Evo 4G with ADW Ubuntu theme:

http://i53.tinypic.com/o8bgg1.png

Cam!
September 12th, 2010, 04:30 PM
YIKES. No offense, but that looks really distracting, and somewhat tacky.

NCLI
September 12th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I just upgraded to 2.2, so it isn't too populated yet, but here:

http://imgur.com/ub3qT.jpg
http://imgur.com/zUMJcl.jpg (http://imgur.com/zUMJc.jpg)

Lucradia
September 12th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I just upgraded to 2.2, so it isn't too populated yet, but here:

/rolleyes

bug67
September 12th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Page 1 and Page 2 where I actually keep everything:

bug67
September 12th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I just upgraded to 2.2...

That's cool. Is it live? In other words, do the fish swim around? THAT would really ROCK.

My co-worker has an android OS phone (HTC Hero?) I was kind of impressed by, when it was raining, a windshield wiper wiped rain of the screen. Just wondering if Android OS allowed things like live desktop apps...like an aquarium.

treesurf
September 12th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Custom Android 2.2 ROM on HTC Hero.

pwnst*r
September 12th, 2010, 06:30 PM
That's cool. Is it live? In other words, do the fish swim around? THAT would really ROCK.

My co-worker has an android OS phone (HTC Hero?) I was kind of impressed by, when it was raining, a windshield wiper wiped rain of the screen. Just wondering if Android OS allowed things like live desktop apps...like an aquarium.

Well, there's live wallpaper, if that's what you're referring to. There is an aquarium type wallpaper that was lifted out of the Galaxy S dump, but typically you won't use live wallpapers daily since you can feel the performance hit a little.

Also, it's funny how you can take screenshots out of the box with the iPhone, but not all Android phones have this option, especially after 2.2.

TheNerdAL
September 12th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I thought Android looked ugly, but up close it looks kind of good.:)

bug67
September 12th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Well, there's live wallpaper, if that's what you're referring to. There is an aquarium type wallpaper that was lifted out of the Galaxy S dump, but typically you won't use live wallpapers daily since you can feel the performance hit a little.

Yeah, live wallpaper. I kinda figured there would be a performance hit but still, that wins the "look what my phone can do" prize in my book. :P

xircon
September 12th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Jailbroken 3GS:

Glass Orb Colour + Glasklart Alt Dockflow
5 Icon springboard.

Rubbish phone, appalling battery life.

pwnst*r
September 12th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Yeah, live wallpaper. I kinda figured there would be a performance hit but still, that wins the "look what my phone can do" prize in my book. :P

Skip to about 0:27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pf6XZge_Mo

pwnst*r
September 12th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Jailbroken 3GS:

Glass Orb Colour + Glas Alt Dockflow
5 Icon springboard.

Rubbish phone, appalling battery life.

Get an Evo and get even more appalling battery life.

NCLI
September 12th, 2010, 06:58 PM

Yep, the fish swim around. Yep, it's awesome :D

It's also free from the Market :D

Also, it's funny how you can take screenshots out of the box with the iPhone, but not all Android phones have this option, especially after 2.2.
I sure can't feel any performance hit, and I've switched between still photos and intensive live wallpapers quite a lot. As long as you have a 1GHz or better CPU, it really isn't a problem. Also, I don't think the wallpaper is ripped from the Galaxy S. My friend has one, and he didn't have this wallpaper when I looked.

I agree about the screencap thing, weird that Android can't do it easily by default.

I thought Android looked ugly, but up close it looks kind of good.:)
Android looks the way you want it too, just like Ubuntu. You've been listening to fanboys too much.

bug67
September 12th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Just googled "live wallpaper iPhone 4." Guess what? I can have cool live wallpapers on my iPhone too...if I jailbreak it. :(

Oh, well. Not a deal breaker for me. Androids are cool. I like my iPhone too...a lot! :)

pwnst*r
September 12th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I sure can't feel any performance hit, and I've switched between still photos and intensive live wallpapers quite a lot. As long as you have a 1GHz or better CPU, it really isn't a problem. Also, I don't think the wallpaper is ripped from the Galaxy S. My friend has one, and he didn't have this wallpaper when I looked.

Some people notice, some don't. It's there whether you want to admit it or not. Also, I have an Evo, so it's 1GHz as well. And I wasn't saying that YOUR wallpaper was from the Galaxy S, but they have one as well.

amitabhishek
September 12th, 2010, 07:34 PM
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/4183/snapshotrt.pnghttp://img820.imageshack.us/img820/3360/snapshot2yp.png

Android users can say the same about iTunes & 2.2 is the latest Android build.

pwnst*r
September 12th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Android users can say the same about iTunes & 2.2 is the latest Android build.

What does iTunes have to do with screenshots. And I know 2.2 is the latest build. Not sure what you're even on about.

amitabhishek
September 12th, 2010, 07:52 PM
What does iTunes have to do with screenshots. And I know 2.2 is the latest build. Not sure what you're even on about.

I should have guessed that...

iPhone users need iTunes to transfer media, for IOS updates etc. We don't need a hogware to manage our devices.

NCLI
September 12th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Some people notice, some don't. It's there whether you want to admit it or not. Also, I have an Evo, so it's 1GHz as well. And I wasn't saying that YOUR wallpaper was from the Galaxy S, but they have one as well.
Ah, sorry, misunderstood the wallpaper thing. I've just tried playing through a level in SMB3 in SNESoid, with and without the wallpaper. If there is a hit, I honestly can't feel it. There was a bit in exactly the same places.

murderslastcrow
September 12th, 2010, 07:56 PM
That screenshot is hot! I really want the paper theme, now. XD

NCLI
September 12th, 2010, 08:08 PM
That screenshot is hot! I really want the paper theme, now. XD

It's the Paperless System theme for ADW launcher. I have it too, it IS awesome!!

Only reason I stopped using it is because too many of my icons look out of place with it. They've done a great job of making alternative icons for the most popular applications, but obviously they can't do them all...
http://i.imgur.com/WIZLt.jpg

pwnst*r
September 12th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I should have guessed that...

iPhone users need iTunes to transfer media, for IOS updates etc. We don't need a hogware to manage our devices.

Should have guessed what? That you would have thrown something in that had nothing to do with what you quoted? Ok.

The current iTunes is nothing like the pig of yore. Android has terrible software for syncing.

Ransoms
September 12th, 2010, 09:02 PM
My rooted HTC Desire from last week or so

http://imgur.com/EZUiNl.jpg (http://imgur.com/EZUiN.jpg)

TBerk
September 12th, 2010, 09:09 PM
My Mobile Device is a Dell Axim X5. It's running Windows CE 2003 (I'm pretty sure...) and as such it has the generic 'spiral' desktop.

Let me see.. yep, 2003, seven years back and counting.

I'm just now taking my third swing at tweaking and pushing the envelope, since I switched over from XP to Ubuntu as my day to day OS, there are less apps/utils to play w/.

Not being lazy or anything but if anybody wanted to drop me some links re: early gen PoscketPC info, esp playing back video/ multimedia I would mind at all.

TBerk
representing the salt & pepper haired computers of the world...

Naiki Muliaina
September 12th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Rooted Evo 4G with ADW Ubuntu theme:

http://i53.tinypic.com/o8bgg1.png

YIKES. No offense, but that looks really distracting, and somewhat tacky.

I find the Samus + Ubuntu far less tacky than the Iphone in the top post ^^

pwnst*r
September 13th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I find the Samus + Ubuntu far less tacky than the Iphone in the top post ^^

Come on, you know that's just rubbish.

qalimas
September 13th, 2010, 05:54 AM

Naiki makes a good point :P

amitabhishek
September 13th, 2010, 06:00 AM
The current iTunes is nothing like the pig of yore. Android has terrible software for syncing.

I don't want this thread to turn into Android vs. iphone thread but why would you want to sync your Android phone with a desktop software!? Everything is syncs with the Google cloud. I am using an Android phone for a now and have'nt used sync software even once.

Naiki Muliaina
September 13th, 2010, 07:44 AM

Eh... Only thing I see wrong with the Samus one is the yellow at the bottom of the screen. The IPhone one in the top post just looks.... Well... Meh?... Sorta XP like I guess. I guess someone has to like that look though before they made it default on a desktop.

The Samus one also just has the things most regularly used. Less clutter. I would possibly remove the weather icon myself but otherwise yeah, I prefer Samus :)

pwnst*r
September 13th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I don't want this thread to turn into Android vs. iphone thread but why would you want to sync your Android phone with a desktop software!? Everything is syncs with the Google cloud. I am using an Android phone for a now and have'nt used sync software even once.

I didn't realize I could sync podcasts, movies, and music from the cloud. Show me.

whiskeylover
September 13th, 2010, 02:29 PM

Rubbish. Only google apps sync to the Google cloud. And you don't even have to use Google services, not even gmail to use your Android phone. You can have your phone book sync to Facebook, Twitter, Exchange server etc. You can have your email sync to Exchange, any IMAP server etc. You can sync media to your PC or the cloud (Podcasts, one way.)

The "everything-syncs-to-the-google-cloud" is FUD spread mostly by fanbois.

SomeGuyDude
September 13th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Rooted HTC Incredible with Virtuous 2.2. I make extensive use of folders in the dockbar, so I don't actually need any icons on the screen itself.

http://i.imgur.com/FQTL2.png

Calash
September 13th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Motorola Droid 1
Rom: Simply Stunning 4.7.1
Launcher: Launcher Pro Plus - 7 screens
Clock: Beautiful Widgets.

I just finished redoing the front page. It was getting a bit cluttered so I emptied a row and removed the background from the clock.

whiskeylover
September 13th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Motorola Droid 1
Rom: Simply Stunning 4.7.1
Launcher: Launcher Pro Plus - 7 screens
Clock: Beautiful Widgets.

I just finished redoing the front page. It was getting a bit cluttered so I emptied a row and removed the background from the clock.

Does the email icon on the bottom bar work for you? I've tried long pressing and setting the shortcut several times, but everytime I press it, it says "Could not launch the requested Activity". Or is that the limitation of LauncherPro so I have to buy the Plus version?

pwnst*r
September 13th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Does the email icon on the bottom bar work for you? I've tried long pressing and setting the shortcut several times, but everytime I press it, it says "Could not launch the requested Activity". Or is that the limitation of LauncherPro so I have to buy the Plus version?

Weird. I have the Pro version, but prior to that the mail icon has always worked for me.

Calash
September 13th, 2010, 02:52 PM

The one on the left is just a shortcut to Touchdown email. The one on the right is the native client. Both work but I have not tried setting up anything fancy with hem outside of basic shortcuts.

Middle two are the Gmail Unread widgets. They work perfectly.

whiskeylover
September 13th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Weird. I have the Pro version, but prior to that the mail icon has always worked for me.

Every time I long press on any icon, and try to change its shortcut, it fails. It only works for a handful of applications (excluding Phone, Email, Contacts etc)

Maybe I should reinstall it.

The one on the left is just a shortcut to Touchdown email. The one on the right is the native client. Both work but I have not tried setting up anything fancy with hem outside of basic shortcuts.

Middle two are the Gmail Unread widgets. They work perfectly.

I'm talking about the 5 icons at the bottom (grayscale)

pwnst*r
September 13th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I'd definitely try reinstalling it.

whiskeylover
September 13th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Just did. Still no luck. Maybe I'll email the developer and see if they can help me out.

Calash
September 13th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I have never had any issue changing the icons. They are default just because I like the set.

Best place for support would be the devs site. He has a forum and is very active there.

Http://www.launcherpro.com

His releases are there in .apk form as well on the main page.

amitabhishek
September 13th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I didn't realize I could sync podcasts, movies, and music from the cloud. Show me.

You still don't a syncing software. Mount the phone as a USB drive and syc whatever you want.I am sure you know that. If you still insist on a syncing software go ahead and write it.

Rubbish. Only google apps sync to the Google cloud. And you don't even have to use Google services, not even gmail to use your Android phone. You can have your phone book sync to Facebook, Twitter, Exchange server etc. You can have your email sync to Exchange, any IMAP server etc. You can sync media to your PC or the cloud (Podcasts, one way.)

The "everything-syncs-to-the-google-cloud" is FUD spread mostly by fanbois.

You are right only Google apps sync with Google cloud; isn't that obvious. Tell me for which of these services you use a PC suite (to sync)?

markp1989
September 13th, 2010, 05:01 PM
How are you lot taking screen shots of yuor android phone , I would like to post my home screen, but my mobile inst rooted.

pwnst*r
September 13th, 2010, 05:03 PM
You still don't a syncing software. Mount the phone as a USB drive and syc whatever you want.I am sure you know that. If you still insist on a syncing software go ahead and write it.

Typical Linux fanboy response.

whiskeylover
September 13th, 2010, 05:20 PM
You are right only Google apps sync with Google cloud; isn't that obvious. Tell me for which of these services you use a PC suite (to sync)?

I never said you needed a PC suite to sync. I was pointing out your false claim that EVERYTHING syncs to the Google cloud.

Everything is syncs with the Google cloud.

Calash
September 13th, 2010, 05:30 PM
How are you lot taking screen shots of yuor android phone , I would like to post my home screen, but my mobile inst rooted.

I am using the Android Developer SDK from here

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Good startup guide here

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/10/22/taking-screenshots-on-an-android-based-phone/

One note, if you are using Ubuntu or anyother Linux you will type the command like this

./ddms

treesurf
September 13th, 2010, 05:53 PM
pwnst*r: I haven't tried it myself, but doubleTwist supposedly is a good media syncing client for Android, working similar to iTunes.

Oh, nevermind, just checked their website and saw that all it does is sync stuff from iTunes to your Android device. Not so useful for us Linux users.

Calash
September 13th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I think it really depends on what we are taling about with syncing.

If we are talking pure media, I have to give it to iPhone. Love it or hate it there is no stock equivalent for media transfer on any other platform. iTunes, for all it's flaws and bad reputation, does a great job with media.

Not that I miss it much myself. Banshee picks up my Droid fine and gets all my media over with no hassle. However we are speaking stock setups.

Now, if we want to talk contacts and calender I have to give it to Google. I have seen no good syncing in this department for any iOs device. Just the number of potential databases that you can use on an Android device is staggering, plus the ability to link them is a huge plus.

But...if you want to talk about an area where iOS wins hands down...

Proxy server support. Drives me crazy when connecting to my work network :(

pwnst*r
September 13th, 2010, 06:04 PM
pwnst*r: I haven't tried it myself, but doubleTwist supposedly is a good media syncing client for Android, working similar to iTunes.

Oh, nevermind, just checked their website and saw that all it does is sync stuff from iTunes to your Android device. Not so useful for us Linux users.

Tried it the same week I bought the Evo and another time sometime in August. It works okay for what it is, but it's extremely slow. Syncing/backups can take hours.

amitabhishek
September 14th, 2010, 05:46 AM
But...if you want to talk about an area where iOS wins hands down...
Proxy server support. Drives me crazy when connecting to my work network :(

For some odd reason proxy server support is absent in a stock Android build. I too faced this issue when I was using the OEM ROM. But Cyanogen ROM and its derivatives do provide full proxy support.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9287/devicea.png

djyoung4
September 14th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I've got a Nokia N900. Its a multitasking beast. Does everything I need with proxy support and root out of the box. Can do everything that I need. Dual booting Maemo 5 and Nitroid

Calash
September 14th, 2010, 03:56 PM
For some odd reason proxy server support is absent in a stock Android build. I too faced this issue when I was using the OEM ROM. But Cyanogen ROM and its derivatives do provide full proxy support.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9287/devicea.png

ooOOOOOooOoooOOoooh!!!!

How well does it work?

That alone may make me switch roms.

NCLI
September 14th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Rooted HTC Incredible with Virtuous 2.2. I make extensive use of folders in the dockbar, so I don't actually need any icons on the screen itself.

http://i.imgur.com/FQTL2.png/QUOTE]

Lol, my girlfriend has that exact same background on her desktop! xD

[QUOTE=pwnst*r;9841196]Typical Linux fanboy response.
You ignored the important part of that post: Just mount the SD-card, and you can put whatever you want on it. Besides, Banshee works fine for syncing with my Nexus, but I really haven't needed to use it. I just use native clients to download and watch podcasts, I don't think I've ever connected my phone to a computer for reasons other than using ADB or charging.

amitabhishek
September 14th, 2010, 05:43 PM
ooOOOOOooOoooOOoooh!!!!

How well does it work?

That alone may make me switch roms.

Works pretty well. In my office I can browse all the sites. Cannot use applications that needs internet connection such as Fring or Android Market. Don't know if this because of company's wifi policy.

Which phone you own?