PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Download/CDBoot problem

crj54
September 12th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Hi,

I am having problems with either the download for Ubuntu 10_04 or a problem with burning the iso image to cd. Not sure which it is.

I have used Ubuntu previously on another system and really want to get it loaded on this laptop, which is: an old comaq nx9000 with a QSI cdrw/dvd SBW242B UX52 drive.

I have downladed the ISO 3 times now and each time burnt it to a cd using InfraRecorder. When I try to boot from the cd the following has occured on each occasion.

cd activates ok
I get a small purple image with 'Ubuntu' in the centre and 2 white icons centered along the bottom.
screen goes blank after approx 30 secs.
I get a full screen of purple with 'Ubuntu' in the centre and a row of white dots changing to red as it tries to boot.
after 1 minute or so I get a screen with the following information:
(initramsfs) Can not mount /dev/Loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) 0n //filesystem.squashfs

This appears as a single line of text.

I cannot decide where the fault lies, a bad download or faulty burning or faulty cd reading.

Or, of course, something else entirely!

Hoping somebody has a possible solution to suggest.

Thanks.

crj54
September 13th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I have now read many posts reporting similar problems, though none seem to report the same error message as I get.

I have tried most of the solutions suggested elsewhere which seemed to closely resemble my problem but to no avail so far.

I am going to try downloading 9_10 and see if tat will bott ok.

In the meantime any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.