PDA

View Full Version : Other laptops with a metallic shell.

metaltroubador
September 12th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I really love the look and stability of laptops that have a metallic shell. Like the macbook pro and the hp envy (sort of), I was just wondering if anyone knew of any other computers that have a similar kind of shell?

Miguel
September 12th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I really love the look and stability of laptops that have a metallic shell. Like the macbook pro and the hp envy (sort of), I was just wondering if anyone knew of any other computers that have a similar kind of shell?

For the looks or for the sturdiness? HP's pro line of notebooks is good, has some metal as a rollcage and is ridiculously expensive in Spain (i.e. the price in € is higher than the price in $... and that's before taking the currency exchange into account). They are the elitebooks, and go from 12 to 17 inch.

Another option with some metal is the Dell Latitude E series. I'm particularly fond of the E6410. The keyboard is perhaps worse than the HP elitebook, but then again they are considerably cheaper here.

Finally, although not metallic in the outside, you have the Thinkpads. Both the W, T and X series have a magnesium alloy rollcage and, I think, a chassis as well. Nevertheless, they are black and boxy, which means they are not "apple-cool". But I love thinkpads (hint: look at signature).

EDIT: I've taken a look at pricing, and you can get an EliteBook 8440p for less than an equivalent E6410 in the UK. The trick here is the Dell comes with 3 year limited warranty (1 the HP) and has a 15 month subscription to TrendMicro.