PDA

View Full Version : Any way to fix fonts in the terminal?

Legendary_Bibo
September 12th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Or just have a font that doesn't look messed up in the terminal besides any form of monospace? Basically the letters always seem to overlap for me.

alexan
September 12th, 2010, 08:20 PM
apt-get moo
wouldn't be the same

Anyway... try with other fonts?

http://www.dafont.com
http://www.blambot.com/

TNT1
September 12th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Or just have a font that doesn't look messed up in the terminal besides any form of monospace? Basically the letters always seem to overlap for me.

Thank heavens. I thought I was the only one... Funny, before my last format and re-install, I had it looking good, any now I don't remember what I did ...

juancarlospaco
September 12th, 2010, 08:38 PM
OMG ComicSans-like fonts WTF

Legendary_Bibo
September 12th, 2010, 08:52 PM
OMG ComicSans-like fonts WTF

I just did this as an example, and it's called "I hate comic sans" actually.

Legendary_Bibo
September 12th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Thank heavens. I thought I was the only one... Funny, before my last format and re-install, I had it looking good, any now I don't remember what I did ...

Yeah I have some fonts that look okay, but they still have the overlapping issue.

Spice Weasel
September 12th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Monospace is the default for a reason. It all goes down to xterm or something, but I'm positive you can't use fonts whose characters aren't all equal length.

ice60
September 12th, 2010, 09:40 PM
i like 'Lucida Console Bold' and/or 'Bitstream Vera Sans Bold'

i just remembered this too - try running this in a term and see if you like the look of it!

xterm -bg black -fg white -ls -j -s -sl 10000 -sb -fa DejaVu-Sans-11 -fs 11

ice60
September 12th, 2010, 09:48 PM
here's the xterm one -

please forgive the accidental red lines, they're from very old screencapture software i hadn't bothered updating :( lol

Legendary_Bibo
September 12th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Ah, so it has to do with the font hinting. I guess the terminal doesn't support that. I did find a nice italicized font, but I guess I won't be able to have any cleaner fonts. I'm using Tlwg Typo Bold Oblique.

sgosnell
September 12th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Most fonts have italic. I sort of like Bitstream Vera Sans Mono Oblique. You do need a mono in the terminal, but all the monospace fonts I've seen also have an italic variation.