PDA

View Full Version : Sweet, thanks to my school I don't need Windows, MS Office, OOo, or to mess with Wine

Legendary_Bibo
September 12th, 2010, 02:25 AM
I've been bugging around with my schools' Citrix client. I attempted this once when I first started using Ubuntu, and I didn't know what shell scripts were, so I attempted again, but I couldn't connect due to a security thing. Turns out all I had to do was copy and paste Mozillas' ca-certificates into the citrix file and voila! I can connect! Although it made my xserver crash, well it Compiz go funky, and when I reloaded Compiz the screen when funky so I didn't try again. I figured I would try again because I have to write a lab report soon, and I figured I would give it a go and if it crashed to try to figure out the issue. I didn't have a problem again, Citrix works which means I don't have to go into my XP Virtual Machine. Well come to think of it, it crashed using Maple 11, but not MS Office. It could just be the Maple 11 program, that thing has always crashed, but I'm so happy I got it to work yay!

murderslastcrow
September 12th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I hope that programs like FreeNX and virtual machines get optimized to the point that they share resources and handle data better and better, to the point that it's not really so difficult or odd to think of running applications from any place to any place, without the OS being an issue.

With Windows 7, Windows XP programs (the majority of programs in use today, it seems) are already being subject to running in a virtual machine, not as a full OS. So if Microsoft themselves are exploiting this kind of technology, who's to say that in the next decade the OS you use will be even less visible, and less understood than it is today?

Anyway, very interesting. You're lucky- my school only allows me to use Linux after I beg them and prove to them it's safe a few times over. However, in talking to them, they decided they would preinstall Linux on a segment of machines to test them and see how well they run, to see if they could migrate all the basic terminals that run open source programs on XP anyway can be switched over.

It's different in Europe and Middle Asia- people are much more willing to try new things everywhere but America, it seems.

Legendary_Bibo
September 12th, 2010, 05:08 AM
My school teaches a Linux class, and that's the only place with computers running Linux. I think it's Red Hat and Fedora. They set up the Citrix thing so people can use any of the software they'll need while they attend. It's a community college and they're very focused on making sure everyone saves as much money as possible. Even my professors don't make the school get newer edition textbooks unless it's absolutely necessary, and I have a few professors who are so good (my chemistry professor has a PhD from Princeton) they don't use a textbook, but they have copies on hand that you can borrow for the semester.

Shining Arcanine
September 12th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I think that my university uses Citrix for its terminal computers. I had no idea that the software was available to the general public. I will try installing it on my Gentoo Linux laptop and connecting to the school's network on Monday when I am on campus. If this works, I will no longer need to use WINE. :)

Legendary_Bibo
September 12th, 2010, 07:10 AM
I think that my university uses Citrix for its terminal computers. I had no idea that the software was available to the general public. I will try installing it on my Gentoo Linux laptop and connecting to the school's network on Monday when I am on campus. If this works, I will no longer need to use WINE. :)

I just hope that ASU (Arizona State University) runs Citrix when I transfer, because with Citrix I don't have to use my Dads' computer, and jump between my laptop and his computer (they're 3 rooms apart).

I don't you would have to do it on campus, I don't at least. If your school runs Citrix they should have a login page to their server that you can use, and use any applications they have on the server.

I could share my login to my schools' Citrix server with you guys, but first I have to make sure no one can cause any damage (changing my password). It'll also give you a clue of what my real name is though. :P