PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB startup memory stick problems

Hadeda
September 12th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I created a USB startup memory stick for 10.04 (startup disk creator option).

It works well with some (windows) computers, but others (also windows) give me 2 types of problems before the installation starts. USB is first boot device in BIOS :-)

1st type of error simply returns "boot error" on a black screen with white text.
2nd type of error returns also a black screen with: "SYSLINUX ..... Copyright H. Peter Anvin boot: "
I don't know what to enter after 'boot:' for it to work
It always returns: "Could not find Kernel Image: Linux"
It must exist. I use the stick to make installations on other (windows) computers.

Thanks 4 ur help!

StageCraft
September 12th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I'm having the same problem with 10.10. Not sure what to do yet, but at least you're not alone

Hadeda
September 12th, 2010, 03:25 AM
:)

Well, I am sure that a kind guru will help us with this ):P

PRC09
September 12th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Could be this problem?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/579522

Hadeda
September 12th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Yes, you are correct, PRC09, thanks.
I am a beginner and can't find a remedy in the report. Am I missing something?:oops:

C.S.Cameron
September 12th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I'm having the same problem with 10.10. Not sure what to do yet, but at least you're not alone

I've noticed this problem is common with pre-release Ubuntus. It should be fixed eventually.

Not sure why it is happening with 10.04, this is the first time I've seen it reported.

Hadeda
September 19th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Have downloaded latest version and am running all current updates. Created another boot stick: Same messages. No change. Can someone help please? Many thanks