PDA

View Full Version : How does one install .RPMs?

Swiss
April 9th, 2006, 01:33 AM
How does one install .RPMs? ](*,)

dabear
April 9th, 2006, 01:45 AM
How does one install .RPMs? ](*,)
install «alien»

sudo apt-get install alien
Convert the rpm to a deb

If you downloaded the rpm to the desktop:

cd ~/Desktop
sudo alien YOUR_FILE_NAME.rpm

install the deb:

sudo dpkg -i THE_NEWLY_CREATED_DEB.deb

John.Michael.Kane
April 9th, 2006, 01:45 AM
You have to use a program called alien http://www.newlinuxuser.com/howto-install-an-rpm-package-on-a-debian-box/

ComplexNumber
April 9th, 2006, 01:46 AM
another program of use is checkinstall

dabear
April 9th, 2006, 01:48 AM
in most systems, just double click on it and the package manager will ask if you want to install it or not. on the command line, just type 'rpm -Uvh <package name>'
Wrong, do not do this for ubuntu!

Installing the rpm with the rpm command will bypass debians package system. Convert to a deb, and installthat instead

aysiu
April 9th, 2006, 01:58 AM
install «alien»

Convert the rpm to a deb

If you downloaded the rpm to the desktop:

cd ~/Desktop
sudo alien YOUR_FILE_NAME.rpm

install the deb:

sudo dpkg -i THE_NEWLY_CREATED_DEB.deb
dabear, do you know if there's a difference between the procedure you're outlining and this procedure?
cd ~/Desktop
sudo apt-get update
sudo alien -i *.rpm

ComplexNumber
April 9th, 2006, 02:25 AM
eas
Wrong, do not do this for ubuntu!

Installing the rpm with the rpm command will bypass debians package system. Convert to a deb, and installthat instead
at least wait until i've edited my post :D.

dabear
April 9th, 2006, 02:48 AM
dabear, do you know if there's a difference between the procedure you're outlining and this procedure?
cd ~/Desktop
sudo apt-get update
sudo alien -i *.rpm
Ah, I didn't know alien had an -i/--install parameter. Except for that, those two methods are mainly the same. But I dunno if it's such a wise thine to include the asterix instead of the file name,though.. I mean, if there's multiple rpms in the Desktop directory, those too will be installed

NeghVar
April 9th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Except for that, those two methods are mainly the same. But I dunno if it's such a wise thine to include the asterix though.. I mean, if there's multiple rpms in the Desktop directory, those too will be installed

I believe the * was included in place of 'FILE TITLE HERE'

3rdalbum
April 9th, 2006, 05:32 AM
I thought I read recently that there are risks associated with using RPMs on a Debian-based system. Is that just for using the rpm command, or does it also apply to using Alien to convert to a deb?

majikstreet
April 10th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I don't think so ^^

at Swiss, on Ubuntu/Debian or on RedHat/Fedora/Etc?

I thought it was rpm -i but I don't think I've ever really done that!

Swiss
April 10th, 2006, 09:40 PM
U/d :)

dabear
April 10th, 2006, 11:52 PM
It should be safe to install the deb package after its alienized ( 8) ), but if it screws up, you can just uninstall it. From my earlier fedora time, I believe I installed an rpm by issuing the command "rpm -Uvh package.rpm", but I am uncertain if the -v and -h flags needs to be there.

If you really want to, you can install the rpm directly in ubuntu (and thus bypassing the debian system) by issuing the above command, but you would then have to install the rpm package first. DONT DO THIS!

Swiss
April 11th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Actually, before I knew what I was doing, I used that command. It said that "Command not reconized" (sp?) :)