PDA

View Full Version : How do you check your facts?

toupeiro
September 11th, 2010, 08:20 PM
It seems most people, not just on this forum but in general, use wikipedia as the "according to Hoyle" facts about any topic of interest they are focused on, even if they might have had 0%-2% subject matter knowledge on the subject prior to that point. Other people use a few different sources to correlate the information as a fact, and some people have hands-on experience that they use solely, or in correlation with other online, printed, or televised sources.

Whats your poison for determining "facts" as you know them, before you decide to show others what you know, (or think you know. ;) )

Cheers!

KiwiNZ
September 11th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I use multiple sources , Wikipedia is not reliable , but a average start point nothing more though.

wojox
September 11th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Multiple sources here. I find reading as many different books/manuals on the subject helps.

TNT1
September 11th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I'm married...

Bachstelze
September 11th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Obviously depends on the subject. If I have forgotten the exact expression of the integral form of Taylor's theorem, Wikipedia is certainly very reliable.

toupeiro
September 11th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I'm married...

So am I, with a 5 month old child that I spend as much time with as possible. Should that make me less diligent if I have something of interest to talk about, and elect to talk about it?

Phrea
September 11th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I get all my facts from Cliff Clavin.

He's the smartest man I know.

toupeiro
September 11th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I get all my facts from Cliff Clavin.

He's the smartest man I know.

epic! :lolflag:

I wish I would have made that a poll option now.

Strategist01
September 11th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I generally use Wikipedia - it gives a nice overview and is usually correct. If I really want the facts, then I'll go and look harder around the web...

koenn
September 11th, 2010, 08:46 PM
I usually just go by 'if it sounds good, it must be true'.

TNT1
September 11th, 2010, 08:54 PM
So am I, with a 5 month old child that I spend as much time with as possible. Should that make me less diligent if I have something of interest to talk about, and elect to talk about it?

No, it means my wife knows everything;)

andymorton
September 11th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Usually peer-reviewed journals.

Simian Man
September 11th, 2010, 09:07 PM
It's a question of what the "fact" is. If it's a basic curiosity, something that my livelihood and safety don't depend on, then the wiki is good enough for me. If it's something important, obviously not.

jshepherd
September 11th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Sometimes start with Wikipedia (it's often near the top of Google search page anyway) and if need be dig deeper I'll check with more 'trusted' sources.

RiceMonster
September 11th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Uncyclopedia (uncyclopedia.org)

chris200x9
September 11th, 2010, 11:15 PM
no one mentioned snopes yet?

bug67
September 11th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I look on the interwebz. I believe everything I see there. http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/jump.gif

Naiki Muliaina
September 11th, 2010, 11:19 PM
4 chan. I think its a reliable source.... >.>

wilee-nilee
September 11th, 2010, 11:27 PM
If it is something based on scientific inquiry I use the world wide library data base from my college, you know that nasty peer reviewed...etc stuff. NPR is good and many other areas, you just have to separate your own bias from the others to get a good projection.

Linye
September 12th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I don't get in any discussion if I'm not at least 90% sure of what I'm talking. Then I start looking for facts.

Most of those discussions are about video games or mma.

toupeiro
September 12th, 2010, 12:09 AM
No, it means my wife knows everything;)

LOL! (as in a real laugh out loud!) I haven't said I've been married long (going on 2 years), but long enough to start to realize this fact myself. :P

Frak
September 12th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Google. It knows everything.

TNT1
September 12th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I look on the interwebz. I believe everything I see there. http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/jump.gif

Google. It knows everything.

But I thought the google was the internet:o

mc4man
September 12th, 2010, 06:33 AM
logical T&E

chessnerd
September 12th, 2010, 06:45 AM
This user trusts Wikipedia as a reliable source of information.

If I'm shaky on it, I will check to see if the article is a good or featured one. If so, I'm pretty confident that it's right.

For school, I may start at Wikipedia, but have only ever used it as a source in two cases:

1. A teacher in high school said we could use Wikipedia articles rated B or higher as sources, so I did.
2. I wrote a college paper on the reliability of Wikipedia, and sited its internal articles on Wikipedia policy.

I find that Wikipedia is generally quite accurate. When it is wrong, it is usually blatantly wrong (due to vandalism). That college paper I wrote received an A, so my argument in that regard must have been at least moderately convincing.

V for Vincent
September 12th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Wikipedia is good for a lot of subjects, so I do tend to use it a lot. For instance, when something is only briefly touched upon in a textbook and I can't get it. Obviously, that way I know whether it's correct if it agrees with what's in my book.

Other than that, our university department has an insanely good library. If I've got an excuse to go there, I'll use it.

Khakilang
September 12th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I'm married...

I'm divorced.

Denis Krajnc
September 12th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Wikipedia is one of the most reliable.

lisati
September 12th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Some of our number might have their doubts about the trustworthiness of Wikipedia, but at least it's a start.

I'm married...
:D In about two months, it will be our 18th anniversary. When Mrs Lisati speaks, I had better listen!

23meg
September 12th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I check my facts by throwing them at whatever the most relevant, smartest, least noisy remaining online community related to the facts at hand is, and watching people tear them apart.

red_Marvin
September 12th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I ponder the question during my morning routine where I shave with Occam's razor.

jrusso2
September 12th, 2010, 05:26 PM
A recent study I read showed Wikipedia to be as reliable as the top rated encyclopedia Britannica

http://news.cnet.com/Study-Wikipedia-as-accurate-as-Britannica/2100-1038_3-5997332.html

koenn
September 12th, 2010, 05:59 PM
A recent study I read showed Wikipedia to be as reliable as the top rated encyclopedia Britannica

http://news.cnet.com/Study-Wikipedia-as-accurate-as-Britannica/2100-1038_3-5997332.html

err ..
that article says that a study shows that
1- there are errors, omissions and misleading statements in encyclopedia Britannica

2- there are more errors, omissions and misleading statements in Wikipedia than in encyclopedia Britannica

@OP
apparently, it's not just about checking facts, it"s also about how you interprete them
:)

drawkcab
September 12th, 2010, 06:21 PM
At one extreme, Wikipedia is a great source for things like pop culture, entertainment and basic tech info, at the other, a horrible source of information for academic subjects.

I was checking out Wikipedia's entry on Plato last week, the sections on Plato's theory of the forms and theory of the state in particular. The problem is that Plato had no theories on either the forms or the state. Anyone who has read any Platonic dialogues knows that Plato says nothing, that Socrates does all the talking. Furthermore, in the Republic and the Phaedo, the theory of the state and the theory of the forms are presented ironically by Socrates, as hypotheses which are either dialectically or practically impossible.

What you get in that Wikipedia entry is a warmed-over version of CliffNotes/Sparknotes, summaries that were written by beleaguered graduate students in need of extra cash years and years ago. If a student tries to write a paper based on that entry, they are likely to be failed by their professor who is familiar with the material and the last fifty years of scholarship on Plato.

TNT1
September 12th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I ponder the question during my morning routine where I shave with Occam's razor.

I ponder whilst feeding Schrodinger's cat...

TNT1
September 12th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Some of our number might have their doubts about the trustworthiness of Wikipedia, but at least it's a start.

:D In about two months, it will be our 18th anniversary. When Mrs Lisati speaks, I had better listen!

Nice. I got seven years last month:D

koenn
September 12th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I ponder whilst feeding Schrodinger's cat...

how is she ? still alive and all that ?

TNT1
September 12th, 2010, 07:20 PM
how is she ? still alive and all that ?

100% alive... No, wait, 100% dead... No, wait, guess I'll have to open the bag and check:o

scouser73
September 12th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I Google for checking facts, and don't stick to just one source of information but usually check about ten search results and then filter the information to suit my needs.