PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] In Need of Some Serious Help

Designation15
September 11th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Alright guys, I hope you can help a scrub like me into the wonderful world of Ubuntu Linux. I have reached my wits end with trying to install Ubuntu. I've tried multiple installations(USB[both 32 and 64 bit], Disk[again both 32 and 64], and finally I tried the disk that I was sent via the Ubuntu site), but all end the same way.

I restart the computer but I have to hit F12 for the boot options, as the disk is not detected, and choose Boot From CD/DVD. Therein it begins to load, the purple ubuntu background appears and I hit the spacebar which brings up the "Languages" menu. I choose english, and proceed to go through the list to "Install Ubuntu".

Well this is where it gets me mad. I hit that button, the screen goes black, then all the sudden the screen is flooded with white text (it appears to me to be programing language but I'm unsure). From this screen it sits there doing nothing.

If anyone can help please do not hesitate. I would love to dual boot Ubuntu and enjoy the life of Linux.

TNT1
September 11th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Get the alternate cd, usually works. It sounds like a graphics card issue. So either that or use the nomodeset switch at boot.

Designation15
September 11th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Alternate CD?

TNT1
September 11th, 2010, 08:00 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/alternative-download

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 11th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I restart the computer but I have to hit F12 for the boot options, as the disk is not detected, and choose Boot From CD/DVD. Therein it begins to load, the purple ubuntu background appears and I hit the spacebar which brings up the "Languages" menu.

Why are you hitting the spacebar?