PDA

View Full Version : Linux! there is joy here! (I can't get enough)

ironhoof
September 11th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I am just full of Ubuntu Linux joy, and felt like talking about it.

WARNING: This is long, and most likely boring.

I switched to Linux back in April. I had an old computer with Win ME on it. Windows ME was WAY out dated by last April (It was outdated when it came out). I am a hobbyist programmer, and I do it just for fun. I was at a loss because I had nothing else I could put on the computer other than Win ME, and I could not even download newer web browsers. I sat around thinking what I could do. I remembered 'Linux', and I quickly did a search, and picked up the first one I came across, Xubuntu. (How fitting! It was an older computer!).

I tried the live CD and everything suddenly didn't suck. I tried to install it, and well... it failed to run after install the first time. I put windows back in, and for a week I played with the live CD. I just loved it so much, and gave it a second go. This time it worked I had to learn a whole bunch of commands in a hurry to fix it to run. I was finally away from windows, and I knew it would be different.

I had a sheet of paper as long as my leg with Linux commands on it. I highlighted all bad/malicious commands, and made massive note to avoid them. Linux was just like the computing I remembered! Things just worked and they work well. You could change more than just the colors. You could change the DE, and make it look like anything! I then got a new computer, and put in an extra HDD. I put Linux on both drives. I put Ubuntu on as the main OS and Kubuntu on the second. I was addicted at this point, and downloaded every Linux distro I could find. I read everything I could find about Linux. I read long documentations on every aspect, including programming!

It was at this point I raved about it, and my Dad said he wanted it since his WinXP on his laptop got a piece of Malware. Then my Mom also wanted it, and it kept going from there! I now have 19 people switched over to it. I ran into problems with doing this. I knew in advance to expect that though. I did get everyone of the computers to run Ubuntu or variant (if it was an older computer). I told everyone the 'Yes do', and 'No don't' information. I am programming again, and I can do everything I need now. I was trying out every Linux distro I found on VM. However I stayed on Ubuntu. Its still my Main OS, I learned so much in a short amount of time.

It is times like right now. I am just happy to just be looking at my Linux desktop, and throwing commands at my terminal window. I have nothing important to do right now, but I really just enjoy my desktop. I am on it listening to HBR1 on Rhythmbox, and sitting here writing about how much I love this.

I ran into every Linux problem warned about at least once if not more, and I don't care it is still awesome. I have a lot of happy people around me well aware of any issue they could have with this, yet they too agree with me. I am now capable of making Ubuntu faster through modifications. I could have used Debian, but I like this one! It was my first, and I make sure its everyones first too. I now have Gnome, KDE, and E17/DR17 Enlightenment on this single computer.

I already learned a good portion of GTK+. I really want to make something useful, and share it with everyone. I wonder what I should program.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
September 11th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Cool story. I too am pretty enamored with Linux and I run Ubuntu most of the time on my machine despite the fact that Work and School require me to use Windows almost exclusively.

Khakilang
September 11th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Its great that you and family enjoy it. I install Ubuntu 8.10 just about last year and fell in love with it. And have upgraded to 10.04. I am not a programmer but I enjoy using it.

ironhoof
September 12th, 2010, 03:04 AM
I think its due to the fact that most people these days believe Windows is part of the computer. I heard it, and maybe you have as well. When someone tells you "I have a new computer but the Windows is broke". Its as if Windows is part of the hardware, and its really just a lack of knowledge in computers. If it doesn't come on the machine, and or if someone doesn't do it for them; most people will not bother with it. I feel bad about that though. A computer is a powerful tool, and much more than an appliance.
I just don't understand how "put in disk , reboot , follow directions" is considered technical. Then again I think most people are confusing technical with scared. There are so many great things you can do on a computer. Its a shame not taking the time to learn at least a little bit about the machines they own. They are missing out on so much.

murderslastcrow
September 12th, 2010, 04:22 AM
There are many people who profit from people thinking Windows is part of the computer. OEMs, GeekSquad, and other people who fix trivial problems with Windows for an exhorbant price.

It's nice to know that DELL and other vendors are helping people to find a way out without having to pay over a thousand dollars to Apple, and they keep their digital freedom. Linux can empower people in more impoverished parts of the world. I think it's a good thing to be excited about, and it'll be nice when GeekSquad and OEMs start working harder on better jobs, rather than seeing how they can use Windows' faults to suck more money out of people.

Ubuntu, and Linux, is whatever you want it to be. Flat and familiar, beautiful and interesting, everything in between. You can have whatever kind of computer you want with Linux. You can manipulate graphics, create videos, compose music, make 3d films and games, write, present, graph, and browse with open standards. There is very little you can't do with Linux, and we have all worked together to make it something truly brilliant.

While we may not have every Windows program out there working in Wine, or official Adobe Creative Suite support, we can still do the same things and save in most of the same formats. Unless you're locked in by work or school, Linux has exactly what you need, and oodles of what you want.

witeshark17
September 12th, 2010, 04:29 AM
A very cool way to get an old win ME computer to actually be useful! :popcorn:

inobe
September 12th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I think its due to the fact that most people these days believe Windows is part of the computer. I heard it, and maybe you have as well. When someone tells you "I have a new computer but the Windows is broke". Its as if Windows is part of the hardware, and its really just a lack of knowledge in computers. If it doesn't come on the machine, and or if someone doesn't do it for them; most people will not bother with it. I feel bad about that though. A computer is a powerful tool, and much more than an appliance.
I just don't understand how "put in disk , reboot , follow directions" is considered technical. Then again I think most people are confusing technical with scared. There are so many great things you can do on a computer. Its a shame not taking the time to learn at least a little bit about the machines they own. They are missing out on so much.

i won't get into it deeply but i would like to add that it's nice to have a choice and the monopolies can taste the competition, without this the monopolies will continue to suck and keep selling mediocre products or just keep it the same "whatever"

murderslastcrow
September 12th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I have to agree- just looking at Microsoft's tutorial for Best Buy salesman on selling netbooks and other computers with Windows where Linux is an option, you can see a profound impact Linux has had in the desktop. OS X itself has very much to owe to open source software, much of which was refined by Linux developers, not just FreeBSD people.

So really, without Linux around, Windows 7 might have been even worse than it is. Good point. XD

Denis Krajnc
September 12th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Great story.

jtarin
September 12th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Made me smile then laugh to share your joy. :)