PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Different wallpapers on each desktop

chip616
September 11th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Being able to have a different background wallpaper on each virtual desktop is a snap in KDE 3.5. I have not found a way to do this in KDE4.x.

I have found threads here asking similar questions, but they went unresolved. Is this feature no longer available? Or does anyone know how to enable it?

I can right click the desktop and select a different wallpaper, but this then applies to ALL desktops, not just the one I want to modify.

I am using Kubuntu 10.04.

Thanks.

Frank.

lykwydchykyn
September 11th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I can't remember if this can be done in KDE 4.4, but if you update to 4.5 from the Kubuntu PPA (see instructions on Kubuntu.org), you can do this.

What you actually have to do is have separate Plasma activities on each desktop; this means you have separate wallpapers and widgets as well (except panels show up on all desktops).

In KDE 4.5 the option is a checkbox on the "Virtual Desktops" settings page. It says "different widgets on each desktop".

chip616
September 11th, 2010, 05:09 AM
lykwydchykyn:

OK, I'll give that a try tomorrow. I wondered how 10.04 LTS was going to keep current with the rapid pace of development in KDE 4.x. I'll add the PPA and update tomorrow and get back to you.

Thanks.

Frank.

schnelle
September 11th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Go to System Settings/Desktop/Multiple Desktops and check "Different activity for each desktop" option.

chip616
September 11th, 2010, 04:06 PM
schnelle:

This appears to work just fine in KDE 4.4.2. Thank you for the kind help! I moved the jpg images I wanted to use to /usr/share/wallpapers (the default location) as root, and they were there when I wanted to use them.

Now I need to poke around and find out how to add icons to launch programs in each of my 6 virtual desktops. I understand that KDE4 allows a different set of icons for each desktop 'activity'. Now I have to learn how to make it work.

Frank.

schnelle
September 11th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Unlock your widgets and then you should be able to add widgets (including icons) independently for each virtual desktop.

chip616
September 12th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Schnelle:

I have the widgets unlocked. I don't see how to add an icon for, say, Dolphin, to my desktop. In the KMenu tree, I navigate to Dolphin, right click, and there is an option to "add to desktop". I click that, but nothing happens. Add to panel works.

Frank.

schnelle
September 12th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Schnelle:

I have the widgets unlocked. I don't see how to add an icon for, say, Dolphin, to my desktop. In the KMenu tree, I navigate to Dolphin, right click, and there is an option to "add to desktop". I click that, but nothing happens. Add to panel works.

Frank.

Just drag and drop icons from kmenu to the desktop. This way it works for me :D .

chip616
September 12th, 2010, 03:19 PM
schnelle:

That works in KDE 3, but not in 4. At least, not with the selection of different activities for each desktop it doesn't.

I should start a new thread on this anyway.

Thanks.

Frank.

schnelle
September 12th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Drag and drop works for me in Kubuntu Lucid KDE 4.4.5 with unlocked widgets and different activities on each desktop enabled. Anyway, good luck in finding solution. 8)

chip616
September 12th, 2010, 04:08 PM
schnelle:

I have 4.4.2 and drag and drop does not work. Right clicking the item in the menu tree allows me to choose 'add to desktop'. This works, but only on the first desktop.

How did you get 4.4.5?

Frank.

schnelle
September 12th, 2010, 04:18 PM
KDE 4.4.5 is in kubuntu-ppa repository :

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/ppa
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

lykwydchykyn
September 13th, 2010, 04:48 AM
If you want icons on your desktop, you have to either:

- Unlock widgets and add a "Folder View" widget to your desktop
- Unlock icons, right click your desktop and select "desktop settings". Go to the "activity" section and change the activity type to desktop.

The first method gives you a region of the screen where you can have desktop icons (by default, the contents of your ~/Desktop folder, like other desktops do).

The second method gives you something more like the traditional desktop, where you can put icons anywhere on the desktop.

This should work in either 4.4.2 or 4.5.