PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it safe to upgrade to 10.10?

nsteger123
September 11th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Well, after giving up for a while because i couldn't get my wireless working i decided today i would give it a shot again.

Magically all my stuff was saved after I re-installed, and for some reason this time the wireless took 10 seconds to make/install the driver :p (I have the RTL8191SE. I'm using a Toshiba A505-S6004 which pretty much is the A505-S6005.)

The thing is, I did a tutorial to re-build the kernel.(Sorry if I'm wrong, I'm new to Ubuntu but pretty good with computers.) So I was wondering if I upgrade to 10.10 will the newer kernel be used over the one I followed the tutorial for.

I really just don't want to break my wireless, and since I have everything working. So do you think it's ok to upgrade?

cj.surrusco
September 11th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Well, you're not going to "break" your wireless by upgrading; you can always downgrade back. It would probably make the most sense to install 10.10 to a separate partition and then dual boot. That way, you would be able to boot into either one. And remember, when you use a release in beta, there are bound to be bugs.

Mark Phelps
September 11th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Quick answer -- NO.

Maverick only just entered Beta. It won't be ready for release for over a month yet.

The suggestion to install a copy to its own partition is the best solution prior to its release.

If you upgrade and have problems, there's no simple way to roll-back to what you had before.

ironic.demise
September 11th, 2010, 04:41 PM
What about virtualisation?

I'm always temmpted to use the betas but follow the ubuntu forums and you'll find out it's JUST for bug testing and patching up... there are many horror stories about people who lost a lot of important data to a beta

wilee-nilee
September 11th, 2010, 06:58 PM
quick answer -- no.

Maverick only just entered beta. It won't be ready for release for over a month yet.

The suggestion to install a copy to its own partition is the best solution prior to its release.

If you upgrade and have problems, there's no simple way to roll-back to what you had before.

+1

Rubi1200
September 11th, 2010, 07:16 PM
+1
+2 to both Mark Phelps and wilee-nilee.

From the Ubuntu website:

This is a beta release. Do not install it on production machines. The final stable version will be released on October 10, 2010.

If you have a test computer where you can play around with beta stuff, fine. If not, the risk is all in your own hands.

Frogs Hair
September 11th, 2010, 07:21 PM
+ 3 I can wait 29 days for the final release

Agent.Logic_
September 11th, 2010, 07:47 PM
What about virtualisation?

Best and convenient way to test out alpha/beta versions of Ubuntu IMHO.

KegHead
September 11th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Hi!

I'm waiting for the RC.

KegHead