PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Won't Boot after installation

arkamaic
September 11th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Hey all, first time trying ubuntu and not so good thus far.

Used the windows install, went through all the processes, and upon completion of the final downloads/installs where the pop up with all the features it offers, it crashed, showed the DOS prompt with buncha lines of code for about 2 seconds, and restarted the comp.

Then it gave me the option to pik windows or ubuntu so i chose ubuntu, it will then give me the option to choose C drive containg Windows in the option, or another option with utility menu in the title. if i choose windows, it restarts the process and asks for windows or ubuntu, choose the other and it pulls up a window that asks me for memory check, system check or exit.

Also, if i dont choose either after 10 secs, it defaults to restarting the prompt

whats goin on here?? i would take a screen shot, but cant.

**** edit

this computer is a dell dimension 9200. its a work computer. I partitioned the Hd to have a section for ubunut of 10gb.

gordintoronto
September 11th, 2010, 03:41 AM
I'm sorry, but I can't figure out what you did. Did you download Ubuntu? Did you burn the ISO to a CD? Did you run it from Windows? That's called a WUBI install, and you don't need to partition your hard drive for it, it uses a large Windows file as the Ubuntu "hard drive."

There was a crash at a really inopportune moment. Do you have your Windows (version?) CD? From what I have read, the 9200 has two hard drives in a Raid 0 array, which is not something I would pick for installing a new OS.