PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Adobe + Wine = Nightmear!

darkenvy6
September 10th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Now I have adobe photoshop CS2, adobe suite CS4 and adobe suite CS5. I am having the most difficult time getting anything to run under wine. I actually don't want anything but CS5 installed. I see guides online, I have followed them with no success. One guide told me to install on Windows then copy to my wine folder. No sucess, different error. But when I try to install from wine I get an error while installing. Please help, I need to use this computer for my graphic design work but refuse to use windows ;)

Thanks
~Darkenvy

QIII
September 10th, 2010, 11:03 PM
CS5 is given a "garbage" rating on www.winehq.com.

You may need to be pragmatic about Windows if that is what you need.

Might you consider running windows in a virtual environment?

dirghrabadia
September 10th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Well, currently CS2 isn't fully functional on Wine (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2631)
So you might want to consider using other options i.e under Windows if you must use Adobe products or you might want to try GIMP, which is fairly comparable to Photoshop :)

darkenvy6
September 11th, 2010, 01:28 AM
yea, the thing is that my compatibility is to run side-by-side with all the macs on campus with CS5 so no GIMP for me. So a virtual Machine is all I have as an option huh? Well Virtualbox doesn't support drag and drop (which is an issue to me) and it would be cool if I could get a CS5 file on Ubuntu to open CS5 up in Windows. That way I can leave windows virtual-box running but execute the file from Ubuntu. Is that possible?

What about this wine-tricks?

QIII
September 11th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Drag and drop can be done, sort of.

You can set up a shared folder (pointed at a directory on your host) in your Vbox vm and use the normal Windows functionality to move files to and from it while working in the Windows guest.