PDA

View Full Version : MS has funeral for iphone and blackberry???

blur xc
September 10th, 2010, 10:15 PM
This is pretty crazy- http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/10/microsoft-celebrates-windows-phone-7-rtm-with-funeral-parade-for/

esp. considering that Android is putting the hurt on them, not MS with their not yet released mobile os....

I wonder if this was the brainchild of Steve Ballmer?

BM

tekkidd
September 10th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Lol, Android will always PWN the others

DrMelon
September 10th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Undertakers, undertakers, undertakers, undertakers! ~ Ballmer

Random_Dude
September 10th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Darth Vader on motorcycle. WTF?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/09/10x091097234vader.jpg

Dayofswords
September 10th, 2010, 10:23 PM
oh cool, this as good as idea as windows 7 launch parties!

samalex
September 10th, 2010, 10:51 PM
For them to have a funeral for Apple iPhone and Blackberry before their OS is even released is alittle presumptuous to say the least.
Microsoft has never launched a mobile OS that took any substantial market share, and with them getting into it this late in the game with Android and iPhone having such a large market share they have no chance.

pwnst*r
September 10th, 2010, 11:10 PM
oh cool, this as good as idea as windows 7 launch parties!

...and Ubuntu launch parties, which are equally as stupid.

phrostbyte
September 10th, 2010, 11:15 PM
...and Ubuntu launch parties, which are equally as stupid.

Ubuntu launch parties have plenty of beer. Beer != stupid. :)

Legendary_Bibo
September 11th, 2010, 12:21 AM

Yeah beer is just the cause of stupid eventually.

Dr. C
September 11th, 2010, 12:21 AM
:lolflag:

What next is Microsoft going to hold a funeral for all the krill that penguins kill? Or maybe for those trampled to death by a herd of stampeding gnus?

tgalati4
September 11th, 2010, 12:35 AM
What happened to the Kin? That's who the funeral should be for. It was killed before its time. MS should have pumped at least a billion dollars into it to see it become the dominant mobile phone.

Half-Left
September 11th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Poor Microsoft. Nobody cares about their smart phone.

3rdalbum
September 11th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Reports of their deaths have been greatly exaggerated...

toupeiro
September 11th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Thanks but no thanks...

Danny Dubya
September 11th, 2010, 03:16 AM
This is pretty crazy- http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/10/microsoft-celebrates-windows-phone-7-rtm-with-funeral-parade-for/

esp. considering that Android is putting the hurt on them, not MS with their not yet released mobile os....

I wonder if this was the brainchild of Steve Ballmer?

BM

That guy should wear a condom over his head from now on.

sandyd
September 11th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Darth Vader on motorcycle. WTF?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/09/10x091097234vader.jpg

reminds me of dragoncon

blur xc
September 12th, 2010, 05:37 AM
What happened to the Kin? That's who the funeral should be for. It was killed before its time. MS should have pumped at least a billion dollars into it to see it become the dominant mobile phone.

I think you mean, a billion more...

I recall they spent over a billion on it to begin with.

BM

inobe
September 12th, 2010, 05:52 AM

wouldn't drink a cold one for any OS, however a juicy ribeye medium rare, they go well together.

this ms mobile stuff, it's hilarious, i don't think i will ever get a phone/ mobile device from them.

there are just too many better choices and they are waisting valuable time and monies that can improve their existing desktop os.

blur xc
September 13th, 2010, 06:41 PM
wouldn't drink a cold one for any OS, however a juicy ribeye medium rare, they go well together.

this ms mobile stuff, it's hilarious, i don't think i will ever get a phone/ mobile device from them.

there are just too many better choices and they are waisting valuable time and monies that can improve their existing desktop os.

And just like the Zune, I'm sure they'll make it so it'll only sync w/ MS computers. At least the iphone/ipod can now sync music in Ubuntu...

BM

pwnst*r
September 13th, 2010, 06:43 PM
And just like the Zune, I'm sure they'll make it so it'll only sync w/ MS computers. At least the iphone/ipod can now sync music in Ubuntu...

BM

Which Apple had no hand in. What's your point?

dca
September 13th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Actually, they'll go after their old friends RIM first... BES costs a ton of money to implement, host, etc in-house so TCO sheets will show benefits of running WinPho7 with native exchange connectors. That takes care of the enterprise end, next comes consumers. If you've seen BB Torch and OS6, I'll just stop right there and call that over with. On to Android. I don't think they can do anything about it besides to get behind more (hide behind) more lawsuits whether it's Larry helping his ol' buddy Jobso out and suing Google or MS hiding behind more companies to sue for ant-trust. Even if WinPho7 is a complete dud, they'll still have a winner simply from Office integration (versus Documents2Go and GoogleDocs) and Exchange email integration... Meh, that's just my take on it...

Here's a funny take on it...

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/windows-phone-7-dont-bother-disaster-211

blur xc
September 13th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Which Apple had no hand in. What's your point?

Geez... My point is if you had a choice between on phone that plays w/ Ubuntu to some degree, vs. one that will not, which would you pick? Regardless of who had a hand in it or not.

BM

limestone
September 13th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Microsoft has to make it A BIG DEAL otherwise no one will by their useless stuff..
The whole parade just shows that Iphone etc has to die before anyone buys a Windows phone :P lol

nerdopolis
September 14th, 2010, 12:15 AM
One thing I just can't get over is that Microsoft dropped all backwards compatibility with all existing apps. All the apps that ran on <=6.5 won't work.

And Microsoft expects developers to completly re-write them. In .NET.

Not only will developers have to rewrite their apps, but they have to learn new language!

They pretty much made a totally new platform, with the almost the same name as the old one. Which is not a good idea when people expect it to do certian things, like have a clipboard, or run apps that used to run in the older version, only to find out they can't...

alexfish
September 14th, 2010, 02:13 AM
One thing I just can't get over is that Microsoft dropped all backwards compatibility with all existing apps. All the apps that ran on <=6.5 won't work.

And Microsoft expects developers to completly re-write them. In .NET.

Not only will developers have to rewrite their apps, but they have to learn new language!

They pretty much made a totally new platform, with the almost the same name as the old one. Which is not a good idea when people expect it to do certian things, like have a clipboard, or run apps that used to run in the older version, only to find out they can't...

This is What Microsoft expects . They call it Technological Progress

The rest of the World has another name for it ! , it begins with ILL as in Sickological

get well soon , (mm!) , better change that as well

v1ad
September 14th, 2010, 02:23 AM
well i bet the end result of that was emmbarassing ....

I would drink a cold one for an OS, or for no reason at all, but that medium prime rib got dibs.