PDA

View Full Version : so now Microsoft manufactures hardware?

stuart.reinke
September 10th, 2010, 05:18 PM
No. Not really. I know they don't build computers but I've been watching the tv show "The Glades" and on the back of every computer that is shown is the Windows logo.

It's common for hardware companies to use product placement for advertising but this is the first time I've seen a software advertisement plastered on the screen like this.

It just looks stupid and out of place to see the Windows logo on the back of a monitor where it should say something like Dell or HP. However, in a world where most people can't differentiate between hardware and OS this might be a good marketing move.

I have no real point to make. Just saw something that irritated me and thought I would share. :)

BrokenKingpin
September 10th, 2010, 05:22 PM
What I hate is seeing Apple products in shows and movies... because I really hate Apple.

tgm4883
September 10th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Just responding to the title. Yes, Microsoft makes hardware. keyboards, mice, remote controls, video game systems. There may be more.

stuart.reinke
September 10th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Just responding to the title. Yes, Microsoft makes hardware. keyboards, mice, remote controls, video game systems. There may be more.

You're right of course. I should have said monitors and laptops.

Shining Arcanine
September 10th, 2010, 05:34 PM

They used to make speakers and routers.

NMFTM
September 10th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Speaking of mice, Microsoft's SideWinder X5 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105223&Tpk=Sidewinder%20x5) is a pretty good gaming mouse. Although, the price went up $10 since I ordered mine about two weeks ago.

The middle mouse button doesn't seem to work on Linux. But, all I use it for is opening webpages in new tabs. And I'm sure theirs a way to get it to work by creating or editing config files. I've just been too lazy to attempt it.

LowSky
September 10th, 2010, 07:25 PM
MS is paying for that logo there. just ike when you see apple's or dells or HP or whatever.

And when no one pays they will thow a fake logo over the real one so that no one can sue or what have you if the company doens't like the exposure.

samalex
September 10th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Does Microsoft actually make hardware or do they just rebrand it? I've seen Microsoft-branded mice that were identical to Logitech mice, even running the same drivers. We used to get these 'Microsoft' mice from Dell and I remember laughing because I had a Logitech one on my personal laptop that was identical except for the label.

What's funny is I remember those old, white Microsoft mice back in the 90's used to have a long, multi-page EULA that came with it... crazy!

Sam

chriswyatt
September 10th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Microsoft has been making hardware for years silly.

whiskeylover
September 10th, 2010, 08:44 PM
XBawks

samalex
September 10th, 2010, 08:50 PM
XBawks

Ahh, forgot about that one :D

YeOK
September 10th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Microsoft make computers too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxk_WywMTzc