PDA

View Full Version : Windows Command Line?

muddpup64
September 10th, 2010, 04:12 PM
What the command line to start a root on Windows 7?

I know, I know. Why would I ask such a foolish question, but my buddy needs help on his computer.

x C0MMAND0 x
September 10th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure 100%, but if you go start>run>cmd and then open the prompt, and then close it. You can click on start again and under recent programs it should have the cmd link, if you right click on it you can do "run as administrator" and that will work.

x C0MMAND0 x
September 10th, 2010, 04:16 PM
alternatively, click start, type "cmd" and then hold down "ctrl-shift" and then hit enter.

TNT1
September 10th, 2010, 04:32 PM
But I don't think "sudo apt-get install ubuntu" will work from a windows cmd prompt...;)

Dr. C
September 10th, 2010, 04:45 PM
In Windows NT4/2000/XP/Vista/7

Start > Accessories > Command Prompt

JerecDrak2
September 10th, 2010, 06:11 PM
If it's Windows 7 you're better off hitting the windows key, type "powershell" (without quotes) then press ctrl-shift and hit enter. You'll then have an administrative shell that also recognises a bunch of Unix commands (like ls etc...) which the normal command prompt doesn't.

Mark Phelps
September 11th, 2010, 03:17 PM
What the command line to start a root on Windows 7?

I know, I know. Why would I ask such a foolish question, but my buddy needs help on his computer.

Then why don't you go to a Windows7 forum??

The one I recommend is sevenforums.com.

rocknrollmouse
September 11th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Then why don't you go to a Windows7 forum??

I think it flattering that someone comes here - clearly we're a more friendly forum ;)

Legendary_Bibo
September 11th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I think it flattering that someone comes here - clearly we're a more friendly forum ;)

I think it's because most people on these forums know more about how to fix problems on Windows with the command line than the people on the Windows forums. I've read some of those Windows forums, if it doesn't have a gui to it, no one can help you, and most forum posts go unanswered.

TNT1
September 11th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I think it's because most people on these forums know more about how to fix problems on Windows with the command line than the people on the Windows forums. I've read some of those Windows forums, if it doesn't have a gui to it, no one can help you, and most forum posts go unanswered.

Yeah, I have unanswered questions on windows forums. (about windows problems, smartarse;))

MasterNetra
September 11th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Alternatively you can go to Start > Program Files (All Programs for win7) > Accessories > Command Prompt. If your running win7, maybe Vista, you can left click it in the menu and run it as admin.

cprofitt
September 11th, 2010, 08:19 PM
cmd gets you a generic command prompt

You can also run power shell... by typing powershell once you have a command prompt.

MasterNetra
September 11th, 2010, 09:17 PM
cmd gets you a generic command prompt

You can also run power shell... by typing powershell once you have a command prompt.

As does selecting it from Accessories, though granted doing it from start menu's search is quicker.