PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't create the File System

manfredrasta
September 10th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Hi all,

I am trying to install Lubuntu in my old laptop toshiba satellite pro 4600. I have a CDLive, that works good (I can run it qithout installing it).

There is a problem while starting the partition, it says that can't create the file system.

It is strange because I could install Xubuntu and there were not any problems with the partitioning. Is it possible that i have broken the HD formating many times?

Thank you very much.

sydbat
September 10th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Hi all,

I am trying to install Lubuntu in my old laptop toshiba satellite pro 4600. I have a CDLive, that works good (I can run it qithout installing it).

There is a problem while starting the partition, it says that can't create the file system.

It is strange because I could install Xubuntu and there were not any problems with the partitioning. Is it possible that i have broken the HD formating many times?

Thank you very much.It's most likely that your really old laptop cannot handle anything more than Xubuntu. That, or your hard drive is failing.

manfredrasta
September 10th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I thougth Lubuntu was ligther than Xubuntu, isn't it?

If I run the OS via the CD it goes much faster with lubuntu than with Xubuntu.

If my HD is broken. Could I Use a pen drive has HD or something? Should I throw the Laptop away?

sydbat
September 10th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I thougth Lubuntu was ligther than Xubuntu, isn't it?

If I run the OS via the CD it goes much faster with lubuntu than with Xubuntu.Not sure, never used it. However, according to all I could find, it should be.

If my HD is broken. Could I Use a pen drive has HD or something? Should I throw the Laptop away?I don't think you need to throw it away. Just install a new HDD. You could also run Lubuntu off a flash stick (tutorials are only a Google away), but only if your laptop can boot from USB.

Also, you should (as best you can) try to make sure that all your physical connections inside the laptop are solid. Open the available bays for RAM, the HDD and other removable parts, and make sure everything is solid.

Then, make sure the insides are as clean as possible - dust, pet fur, etc, can makes things run improperly/overheat.

manfredrasta
September 24th, 2010, 02:19 PM
i've bougth a new HD and have had success installing Lubuntu.:)