PDA

View Full Version : C# API Documentation

JJ500
September 10th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I recently did a Java course and was quite impressed with the API documentation, listing all the packages, classes, methods, etc. and giving detailed descriptions of them. In fact, I found reading the documentation to be the best way to improve my Java knowledge.

A few days ago, I started a C# course. Unfortunately, I was unable to find similarly high quality documentation for C# yet. The only documentation I found was the .NET documentation built into the Visual Studio help function. This seems about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Searching the help returns mostly irrelevant results (note that this is the local help I'm talking about, online help is out of the question because the computer I use for the course has no internet access).

Does anyone know where I can find C# documentation similar to that of Java, or if such documentation even exist?

phrostbyte
September 10th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Microsoft has pretty decent online documentation, but their in IDE help is total garbage. :) I suggest you find some Internet access.

jcwmoore
September 11th, 2010, 03:20 AM
the online documentation is pretty good, but not as good as the java documentation

JJ500
September 11th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I tried it out on my home computer and you're right, the online help is much more helpful (not up to Java's standard, but at least it's something). Unfortunately, I don't have (and cannot get) internet access at the computer I use for the course, so I'm stuck with some form of offline help.

Do you know if the .NET Framework Class Library (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms229335.aspx) is available for download in any way other than opening and saving each page individually?

worseisworser
September 11th, 2010, 11:47 PM
If you're looking for offline documentation for .Net for Windows you got to download the SDK(#1).

If you're looking for offline documentation for Mono, aka .Net for Linux etc., you can find them by searching for "monodoc" via your package management tool.

#1: I do not know whether this requires a MSDN subscription (costs money) or not; years ago it used to be free. edit: I found a link; http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb980924.aspx

edit: Note that I have no idea whether these offline documentation packs are any good or not; I haven't checked them out.