PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Advice sought - lightweight desktops

bouncingwilf
September 10th, 2010, 10:03 AM
OK here goes, its quite a simple request and it can be probably answered with a one-liner. I've built a small computer for the boat that essentially runs just two user programs;

1. OpenCPN which is a native Ubuntu app (it's in the repos) and
2. DrDepth - which is a Windows app that runs very well under wine ( I must add it to the winedb list - just one little niggle to resolve first.)

No email etc BUT I may add an ubiquiti bullet2 CPE for access to marina wifi and thus further require a) a lightweight browser and b) Skype

The PC itself is based on the Intel D510 dual atom board with 2gb ram ( works very well - no issues so far) and is currently using UNR

Now the question:

The DrDepth application does 3d mapping and basically the bigger the memory it can use, the larger/faster the area it can map so reducing system memory requirements would be advantageous. Without going to silly extremes, i.e simple installation and no post install extensive mods, what DE would best fit my needs please?

Thanks in advance - bouncingwilf

kerry_s
September 10th, 2010, 10:24 AM
none, i would create a xsession that just launches that 1 program.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CustomXSession

tip: create a different user for it.

there's also the another way of doing it, but that sounds pretty strait forward. just google if you want other options.

bouncingwilf
September 10th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Many thanks - I was unaware of that possibility; I'll look into it - I assume wine + app laods as a normal X window?

bouncingwilf

kerry_s
September 10th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Many thanks - I was unaware of that possibility; I'll look into it - I assume wine + app laods as a normal X window?

bouncingwilf

yeah, depends on how you set it up. if you only launch just the program, it won't have no decor(window buttons? close, max, minimize).

regala
September 10th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Without going to silly extremes, i.e simple installation and no post install extensive mods, what DE would best fit my needs please?

abandon ubuntu, or abandon hope

bouncingwilf
September 10th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Oh no! no need to abandon hope - the apps run perfectly fine as they are (under Ubuntu) I'm just looking to squeeze a little more out of them! ergo - lighter desktop! I'll investigate the xsession idea but am still up for any simple suggestions.

bouncingeverhopefulwilf