PDA

View Full Version : problems downloading wow

octohedra
September 10th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Heya!

i've downloaded wow perfectly, now im downloading Wotlk + TBC with the wow installer from blizzard, the thing is it downloads very very slow @ 10-20kbps, so it may take a week or more to download, wich i dont mind waiting, the thing is that i have to use the internet, and i cant because its eating all my bandwith, (even its only downloading @ 20% of it) so, sometimes when i have to use the internet, and if i stop it and(i have to kill the process, otherwise it wont let me stop it manually) it WONT resume where i left it?
first time i stop it it was @ 800mb (something like 30%), then i open it again and only got downloaded 195mb??? wtf...:confused:

then downloaded for 1gb, @ 40%, killed the process (i had to use the internet) and went back to 450mb???.........

so for a week i cant use the internet ??

So the next thing i did was opening the .torrent with Deluge, BUT it says its 10+gb, while the blizzard installer says its 4.3gb... also i couldnt get deluge to take the download from where i left it with the blizzard downloader even if i point to to the dir where the blizz downloader dled it.

Edit: i just notice that the blizz downloader resumes the dl from the % it left it, but not the amount of mb, so its @ 40% but 450mb... ](*,)
Another thing i just notice its that if i stop it (kill the process) and open it again, it starts to download much faster, after reaching the % where it stoped. For example when i closed it it was downloading @ 12kbps, and now @ 40+kbps...

What should i do?

):P

octohedra
September 10th, 2010, 08:06 AM
---

hikaricore
September 10th, 2010, 08:29 AM
What you should do is wait more than 30 minutes instead of being an inpatient tool.
You should also read the forum stickies (not to mention search) before posting so your threads end up in the right place.
This should have been in the wine forum as it does not belong where you posted it.
Mind you I still would have been a bastard about you "..."ing 30 minutes after your original post no matter where it landed.
Just thought you should know how things work around here. Bumping will irritate people, further bumping will get you ignored.

Good luck.

octohedra
September 10th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Dude are you angry or something? :(

I didnt want to bump the thread, i came to the idea that killing the process would delete what the downloader stored in ram and posted, and then i thought it wasnt like that so i edited the post, and tried to delete it with no luck.
I didnt see the "Wine" forum, i just see games, and came to this area, then saw another thread about world of warcraft and thought this was the place.

If its not, please move it to the correc area, i would do it myself but im not a mod.

Im very sorry for wasting your time,

Perfect Storm
September 10th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Thread locked for further investigation.

Perfect Storm
September 10th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Thread re-open and moved to wine forum.

Hogmeister
September 10th, 2010, 07:13 PM
have you tried disabling the peer 2 peer networking part of it (the torrent crap)... unless they changed the downloader recently there should be a setting in the main options dialog that lets you disable the peer networking stuff. I always have better results that way.

i'm assuming if its using your internet completely like you say then its either maxing out your upload and bogging your download down, or somethings completely out of whack. but yeah, try disabling the peer networks if thats available still... its been so long since i've played around with the downloader

cwwilson721
September 10th, 2010, 08:56 PM
The download IS actually a torrent.

But to "speed things up", all you need (If you bought it, and have the cdkey) is WotLK. It installs all the previous, then you need the patches. About 2.1 GB

You don't need all 3 DVDs, just WotLK (That's how I do a fresh install. Just popin the WotLK DVD, mount it correctly, and install. I also have all the patches on a DVD too)

Hogmeister
September 10th, 2010, 10:15 PM
i know its a torrent, but there is an option to disable it for those people like myself that dont like the torrent nature of things in their downloader.. it just performs poorly for me, even when i forward ports and everything. Your idea is still a good one, snag yourself a wotlk dvd from someone (you HAVE to know someone who plays and has one that you can borrow ;P )

Jazzy_Jeff
September 11th, 2010, 04:16 AM
If you are using a firewall, ports 6112, 3724, and 6881 through 6999 must be open in order for the Blizzard Downloader to connect correctly. If you are using a router, you may also need to set up port forwarding for these ports. Refer to your firewall/router's documentation for instructions on opening ports and setting up port forwarding.

Make sure all the ports are open on your computers firewall and routers firewall if you are using one.

octohedra
September 11th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the answers,

@hog i didnt find the option to disable the peer 2 peer in the downloader... There is only a "stop" button...
@Wilson didnt know that, guess ill just dl WOTLK then...
@Jeff Yes, i opened those ports already, nothing changed.

Now i have a much worse problem:
I decided to leave it like that until it downloaded, it was going to take a week or so, but i can manage to not use the internet so much... but now after downloading a few mb, (now its arround 1.2Gb solid download) pops a wine error, "The program installer.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to be closed" or something like that, so i cant even download it????
Im using Wine 1.2 (this was supposedly fixed since 1.1?)

I really hate windows, but i think im gonna dual boot windows just to download it.... but i really dont want to... do you know any way of fixing this?
It should be arround 3+gb already and its in 1.2gb... i have a super slow bandwith... why is this happening to me... :mad:

Perfect Storm
September 11th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Tried with wine 1.3?

octohedra
September 11th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Tried with wine 1.3?

Not yet, gonna give it a try

Edit:
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4771/screenshotvp.pngimg180http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4771/screenshotvp.png
I think downloading it with the blizzard downloader is not an option, the download speed is too slow, it could take a month, and i need the bandwith, even if its downloading @5kbps i cant even browse the web..

Edit:
If you dont mind change this thread to solved. Ive found a torrent that's about 7gb of wow + tbc + wotlk, wich im downloading with deluge @ full speed and wont take more than 3 days.