PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] does repository works on old ubuntu's

djnemo
September 9th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Hello

Does the current programs which we can install from apt-get from ubuntu servers for 10.xx , Are they still supported on older version of ubuntu like 9.xx ?

thanks

andrewthomas
September 9th, 2010, 11:24 PM
What exactly are you trying to do? Unless you know what you are doing, it is probably not a good idea to mix packages from different releases.

djnemo
September 10th, 2010, 11:06 AM
What exactly are you trying to do? Unless you know what you are doing, it is probably not a good idea to mix packages from different releases.
hi
my question was , does the ubuntu still updating packages for older version like 9.xx ?

plucky
September 10th, 2010, 11:49 AM
hi
my question was , does the ubuntu still updating packages for older version like 9.xx ?

Yes for security and bug related fixes but no to newer versions of software while they are still supported.

See Here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/) to find out dates when support for each release runs out.

Good Luck

SlugSlug
September 10th, 2010, 11:53 AM
you can add additional repositories but these are not offically supported by ubuntu.. I do this for example firefox..

ubuntutweak is the easiest way just be careful which you add try stick to stable