PDA

View Full Version : Audio/Video tab under properties reveals no information

The Flying Penguin
September 9th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Under 10.04 on my HTPC when I try to check the properties of a video file everything is listed as "unknown". On my laptop with 10.04 64bit, I could see all the info. After reinstalling 10.04 64bit on my laptop everything is listed as "unknown".

This leads me to believe I need something special installed for this information to become available. It was available before I reinstalled but I can't remember all the things I had installed before. I believe before I had downloaded a bunch of codecs. This time around I am just using MPlayer and XBMC. I haven't needed to download any codecs for these players (I guess they did that for me). So am I missing a codec, program, file, etc?

I tried searching for this but I keep finding posts and articles about having no sound or video.

Btw, I'm trying to check the info for a .mkv that I ripped from Blueray using MakeMKV and a .mp4 1080p movie trailer I downloaded. If I open the video in Mplayer I can check the info from there. It shows DTS as the selected codec and then HD Lossless, 3/2+1, and 3/2+1 for the audio streams. I'm assuming the first 3/2+1 is the DTS core and the other is DD. It's kind of a pain to have to open up MPlayer just to check media info.