PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why are my windows borders not showing??

Donalt2010
September 9th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Randomly my windows borders are either there are not, whats up with this? Its makin things a bit difficult minimizing windows switching windows etc, it doesnt happen all the time, just every other time i boot up, but its happened twice in a row now. And when it doesnt do it sometimes the borders close, minimize and expand boxes just disspear along with the title at the top i.e Firefox Ubuntuforums.org.
Somebody help me please.
Regards
Donal

MasterNetra
September 9th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Randomly my windows borders are either there are not, whats up with this? Its makin things a bit difficult minimizing windows switching windows etc, it doesnt happen all the time, just every other time i boot up, but its happened twice in a row now. And when it doesnt do it sometimes the borders close, minimize and expand boxes just disspear along with the title at the top i.e Firefox Ubuntuforums.org.
Somebody help me please.
Regards
Donal

Is compiz's reflection enabled? If so that might be whats doing it. I know I had it enabled and was experiencing that type of problem. It stopped after I disabled it again.

If not, try just disabling effects entirely e.g. Left Click Desktop > Change Desktop background > Visual Effects (Tab) > Select None, if that solves your problem then clearly its some compiz effect causing the problem if not, Well... I dunno.

sikander3786
September 9th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I believe you are using Compiz as it is a known problem with compiz.

Anyhow, install fusion-icon, it will sit in the System Tray and then you can use it to reload your Windows Manger every time it happens.

Donalt2010
September 9th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Is compiz's reflection enabled? If so that might be whats doing it. I know I had it enabled and was experiencing that type of problem. It stopped after I disabled it again.

If not, try just disabling effects entirely e.g. Left Click Desktop > Change Desktop background > Visual Effects (Tab) > Select None, if that solves your problem then clearly its some compiz effect causing the problem if not, Well... I dunno.

That seemed to make a diffternce to it. Thanks. I just clicked on the advanced tab again so i think its a compiz problem as sikander3786 sugguests. Thanks guys.:p

Cavsfan
September 9th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I believe you are using Compiz as it is a known problem with compiz.

Anyhow, install fusion-icon, it will sit in the System Tray and then you can use it to reload your Windows Manger every time it happens.

I was just going to say that same exact thing. :) I have to click Reload WM occasionally when my min. max. and
close buttons disappear from the top of my windows. But, that is the only problem I have with Compiz and Cairo-Dock. I love the effects.

sikander3786
September 9th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I was just going to say that same exact thing. :) I have to click Reload WM occasionally when my min. max. and
close buttons disappear from the top of my windows. But, that is the only problem I have with Compiz and Cairo-Dock. I love the effects.

"The World is Not Enough". I too love all the effects and don't mind running into a few occasional small problems. Actually compiz is a good motivation for Windows users to try Linux.

Donalt2010
September 9th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks. It must be some compiz effect causing the problem because when i changed the effects, none of them was actually ticked so i ticked none then normal then and then extra.. Its all sorted thanks dudes

Donalt2010
September 9th, 2010, 06:33 PM

I removed cairo dock as it was causing glitches on-screen so i installed docky and things are all good in the hood again:D:D

Sorry one more thing, is there a way to make the title bar on my windows borders transparent to match the theme i have running?

sikander3786
September 9th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Use emerald.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=645958

Donalt2010
September 9th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Got it all sorted thanks. This is what my desktop looks like now
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn289/weenutt3r/newtheme.png

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn289/weenutt3r/newtheme2.png

gaines2166
September 9th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Somebody help me please.
Regards
Donal

I have a similar problem, but it is only with Firefox and it is consistent in that each time I reload Firefox there are no borders, although intermittently the borders will appear but then disappear.

It began this morning when I responded to the new Firefox update. I tried reinstalling FF, but no change.

I checked Add/Install Applications, and there are no Compiz programs installed.

Changing the desktop visual effects had no effect.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Ubuntu 9.04

zuerston
September 10th, 2010, 02:05 AM
A good video card usually solves a lot of stuff,i'm using the on-board Intel 865 video in this old IBM 8189 and I bought an AGP ATI 7500 128mb card, and the IBM wont even boot with that in it, so i'm gonna try a nVidia card, they are cheap on Ebay ,less than $20. and if you find one that works,it will solve most video problems. These on-board videos on old computers have lots of weird problems.

Donalt2010
September 10th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Will im using an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series and it runs like a dream. some ATI cards are known to have their problems with Ubuntu;)

TwelveGauge
September 10th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Do you have "window decoration" turned on in compiz (if you use it)?

And yeah, Donalt2010, ATI cards can cause problems...if you have a specific one, i might be able to help.

Donalt2010
September 10th, 2010, 05:30 PM
As I said dude its all good now. the only problem im havin is managing my battery life, i always seem to have my laptop plugged in. But thats a topic for a different day.:cool:

Cavsfan
September 10th, 2010, 05:40 PM
As I said dude its all good now. the only problem im havin is managing my battery life, i always seem to have my laptop plugged in. But thats a topic for a different day.:cool:

Glad you got the issue resolved. Don't forget to resolve this thread. :grin: