PDA

View Full Version : Community Techs - Advocacy and Community Level Support

disabled_20220313
April 8th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evening all.

I had a brainwave the otherday and I wanted to run it past the people here.

Currently when you asked a non-techie person to install Ubuntu, then if your like me then you feel that you have to spend some time helping them set up and use that computer. It doesn't feel right, and goes against the whole community idea, just to leave them on their own. I feel this is what contributes to peoples hate of Windows.

If I was able to at some kind of computer or other event be able to promote open source and in particular Ubuntu, but with credibility. I propose the introduction of an intermediate qualification for people to become "Community Techs". Where they can say with confidence, "Here use open source, and here's my card. I am a Community Tech, and can help you with most things."

I feel it would also mean if they got lost they would be able to type "Ubuntu Community Tech Birmingham" into google, and maybe get a link to my website, because I would describe myself as a Ubuntu Community Tech in Birmingham.

I'd hope the MOTU or the like could organise this each in their own countries, with the aid of people on these forums. I am tempted to start a wiki page for ideas. I would like it to have no requirement for the qualification besides the motivation to learn what is required, and some kind of distance learning exam.

I propose that it should include :

Knowledge of most/all linux alternatives to closed source windows appliations
How to confidently and repeatedly install multiple codecs
Set up hardware that is not supported "out of the box" - USB modems etc
More of an understanding of the User/Root idea - How to change permissions via command line, and be able to spot problems that have been caused by it, non-access to CD drives etc
Understanding of common and useful command line commands (For fixing, and also being able to get the information that you'll need to diagnose a problem)
Able to know both sides to the windows/linux argument, so information can be presented as honestly as possible, I wouldn't want the Community Techs to become "Linux Bible Bashing Nuts"

I don't think it should interfere with the industry certifications that Canonical are already providing, I wouldn't expect the need to go into that much detail.

What do people thing?