PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with PPPoE access

i-idea
September 9th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Hi

This is my first post so hello to everyone. I am a web designer and don't know anything about servers. My server service provider use Linux environment and sometime it would be much easier for me to have a local server to test my websites.

So I have install a fresh copy of Ubuntu 10.04 to one of my computer. Half way installation, the system tell me something like couldn't configure the DHCP, I have checked that my router has enabled DHCP servers (D-Link 615).

After installation and logon, I use sudo pppoeconf command and try to set the network. But it said something like no PPPoE access.

I know I am very dull, and maybe get ban from this forum because I have not read the instruction, it will be great if you can point me to the right page. All I want to do is have something like a web space + MySQL and support PHP to work with. Want to know how to set it all up. please help.

:KS
Many thanks

Genesis

tyblogger5
September 9th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Try to refresh the IP with:

sudo dhclient

To install Apache Server, PHP, MySql (LAMP Server), use the following command:

sudo tasksel install lamp-server

I'm learning web development as well and it takes a little bit to figure out how to install LAMP for a new-comer.

Does this help?
Tariq

i-idea
September 9th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Thank you Tariq for your rapid response

I will try that now and let you know right away.

i-idea
September 9th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Done that, is said no DHCP lease received. Any idea?

tyblogger5
September 9th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Hmmm...could you type in:

ifconfig

and copy the output (by the way, this command is the same as ipconfig in windows). This might be able to give me a little more info.

i-idea
September 9th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Comes up loads of stuff, which part is significant?

Thanks

tyblogger5
September 9th, 2010, 02:40 PM
If you are trying to connect with ethernet, there should be some things with ethX (X is a number usually 0). Just to be safe copy everything onto the forum.

-Tariq

i-idea
September 9th, 2010, 02:48 PM
http://www.i-idea.co.uk/photo13.jpg

i-idea
September 9th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I am so sorry. As Linux in my other PC are the only operating system. I couldn't think of a better way than take a photo. Hope you can read that ok. Many thanks

tyblogger5
September 9th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I'm clueless now, I'll try to research it a little bit if I have time. By the way, check that the cable is plugged in on both sides (it doesn't hurt to check :)).

-Tariq

i-idea
September 9th, 2010, 02:53 PM
thanks for your help. I have checked the cable. Cable is good.

tyblogger5
September 9th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Check out this site, it might help you:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ADSLPPPoE