PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help installing AVG anti-virus

sharkins215
September 9th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hello all,
so i've been trying to install AVG on my computer for some time now and have exhausted nearly every option in the DIY section i turn to you :) i'm very new to ubuntu so i'm hoping i'm making a rookie mistake here but here's what i've done so far. I've downloaded the installer from avg with the extension .deb. That opened up in the package manager and the installation went off without a hitch. Then i went to find the application but it is nowhere to be found. So i tried restarting thinking that maybe it needed that but even after the restart i still couldn't find it anywhere. so i tried reinstalling it and still no luck. Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks

realzippy
September 9th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Do you want to scan windows machines or data for windows machines?

If not,there should be no need for a antivirustool....and welcome to the forum!

sharkins215
September 9th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Well i'm actually running ubuntu on a virtual machine so i want the protection on both ends

realzippy
September 9th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Applications > Accessories > AVG ??

realzippy
September 9th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Try to start it from terminal.

sudo avgctl --start

sharkins215
September 9th, 2010, 01:09 PM
ok i did that and it said the operation was successful but i still don't see it anywhere.... lol

howefield
September 9th, 2010, 02:22 PM
There is no GUI with AVG for linux, it is a command line anti virus scanner.

If you want point and clicky, try Avast or, in my opinion, the best which is Bitdefender for Unices, both have .deb packages for download also.

realzippy
September 9th, 2010, 03:58 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus/Avg

...maybe it is outdated.

howefield
September 9th, 2010, 04:15 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus/Avg

...maybe it is outdated.

No maybe about it. It is outdated.

I think it was 8.5 onwards that AVG for linux had no GUI. It is a regular topic on these forums with many threads available for the OP to search out...

You either learn to run AVG from the command line, or ditch it and get another, Avast for example, or BitDefender.

sharkins215
September 9th, 2010, 08:08 PM
oh ok thanks guys. That makes alot more sense to me. What doesn't make much sense is why they would ditch their gui but hey i guess that their decision to make. Anyways thanks a bunch :)

uRock
September 9th, 2010, 08:11 PM
They would have to invest time into creating a GUI that very few would be using. If you want an AV with a GUI, then ClamTK works well.

sharkins215
September 9th, 2010, 08:16 PM
oh sorry one more thing. Assuming AVG installed correctly to my computer how would i go about removing it if i can't see it?

uRock
September 9th, 2010, 08:21 PM
It should be listed in System> Administration> Synaptic Package Manager after being installed, but I could be wrong.

sharkins215
September 9th, 2010, 08:35 PM
AH! thank you very much good sir :) i was looking in the ubuntu software center in the installed software section.

kavulix
December 31st, 2010, 08:36 PM
If you're looking for a gui for avg or any other linux AV scanner you can use the Penguin Pills application. The scan/update paths and options window can be customized to support any CL scanner. I'd recommend reading through the entire page below before using it for the first time.

http://penguinpills.sourceforge.net