HappinessNow
September 9th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I finally ROOTED! my Nexus One!

Using 1-click root found here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=747598

TyrantWave
September 9th, 2010, 11:14 AM
The root is on fire!
We don't need no sudo, let the mother****** chown!

HappinessNow
September 9th, 2010, 01:00 PM
edit

Calash
September 9th, 2010, 01:54 PM
It worries me a bit when people just root/jailbreak/Unlock their mobile devices with no goal as to what to do after.

Worry is a bit strong of a word, more like confuses me. To me it is a path to something else, not a door that I don't know what to do when it is open.

I don't have a Nexus One so some of these ideas may not apply to you.

You MAY be able to:
Load a custom ROM
Remove applications built into the stock Rom
WiFi tether
Send traffic through a proxy server
Overclock
Load Rom Manager (See first item)
Kill your device by editing the wrong file
Backup everything (Only applies if the Nexus One has a custom Recovery like Clockwork or SPRecovery.)

Tread at your own risk.

whiskeylover
September 9th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Delete carrier crapware.

pwnst*r
September 9th, 2010, 03:16 PM
It worries me a bit when people just root/jailbreak/Unlock their mobile devices with no goal as to what to do after.

^This.

It happens all the time, then people start posting complaints in android forums about things not working or only working sometimes and they expect help from Sprint or HTC, which is even funnier.

RESEARCH before you root. The bragging rights don't mean **** if you don't know what you're doing after the fact.

wipeout140
September 9th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Congrats, Main reason for me rooting my device (HTC Magic) was vodafone possibly never update it farther then 1.6 so atm i got clockwork recovery and Cyanogenmod 6 D/S but deleted few memory resourceful apps from the Phone, e.g. News and weather widget and some smaller unused apps e.g. amazon mp3 app. And it runs really well possibly the same as 1.6 Stock but has tons more features and better battery life.

RESEARCH before you root. The bragging rights don't mean **** if you don't know what you're doing after the fact.

That is so right

Kazade
September 9th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I've recently rooted my Orange Dext because Motorola decided that only the U.S. Dext (the Cliq) was going to be upgraded past Android 1.5!

Info here: http://www.gomonews.com/motorola-triggers-dext-user-backlash/

So now I'm running Android 2.1 (adlxmod), patched with live wallpapers and a custom launcher - it's crazy fast in comparison. I documented how I did it here (http://kazade.blogspot.com/2010/09/putting-android-21-on-uk-orange-dext.html) if anyone is interested.

scottuss
September 9th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I rooted my HTC Magic, then went and bought an N900. I've not looked back.

jpeddicord
September 9th, 2010, 03:53 PM

Is the N900 still openly rootable? I have an N800 and it's pretty easy using the Nokia-supplied tools: run flasher while plugged in via USB, pass --enable-rd-mode, and you have root.

..or just install openssh, and you can sign in as root that way.

wipeout140
September 9th, 2010, 04:40 PM

I was going to get the n900 when first came out but it was out of my price range last October then got the HTC Magic instead anyway i think Android is more way forward but hopefully MeeGo works out well (Coming from a N810 user)

Is the N900 still openly rootable? I have an N800 and it's pretty easy using the Nokia-supplied tools: run flasher while plugged in via USB, pass --enable-rd-mode, and you have root.

..or just install openssh, and you can sign in as root that way.

Or install app from mameo extras called becomeroot i think.

Dr. C
September 9th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Congratulations to the OP on rooting the Nexus one. There is no freedom in Free Software without root.

Even with a propriety OS such as the iPhone it makes a lot of sense to jailbreak it, and in certain circumstances jailbreaking an iPhone can actually save lives.

Calash
September 9th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Congratulations to the OP on rooting the Nexus one. There is no freedom in Free Software without root.

Even with a propriety OS such as the iPhone it makes a lot of sense to jailbreak it, and in certain circumstances jailbreaking an iPhone can actually save lives.

Ok, you know you cannot post that without explaining it..I have to know how a jailbroken iPhone can save a life.

pwnst*r
September 9th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Ok, you know you cannot post that without explaining it..I have to know how a jailbroken iPhone can save a life.

Lives of kittens maybe?

Dr. C
September 9th, 2010, 07:44 PM

Absolutely. The situation is that you are in a remote area with marginal cellphone reception. You can send out a text message but nothing else works including, voice and assisted GPS. This actually happened in a plane crash in BC. Now consider this: If the iPhone is jailbroken one can obtain the GPS coordinates without using AGPS, but only if the iPhone is jailbroken since the application to do this was censored by Apple.

Now consider a situation where there are people with life threatening injuries in a remote area. The ability to send a text message to the rescuers with the GPS coordinates is a matter of life and death.

pwnst*r
September 9th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Lol

Ransoms
September 9th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I rooted my Desire a few months back and must have tried about 20 different roms so far, it's more addictive than linux :p

It was more fun rooting my old G1 though, staring at a bash prompt on a phone :D

toupeiro
September 9th, 2010, 07:50 PM
On one hand:

Root has great power, which requires great responsibility. If you need root, it's good to have a plan of action in mind already.

On the other hand:

There's nothing wrong with LEARNING what to do with something once you've achieved it. So what if he doesn't know exactly what he's going to do with it. He will soon enough, even if what he learns is how to reimage his phone.

Calash
September 9th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Absolutely. The situation is that you are in a remote area with marginal cellphone reception. You can send out a text message but nothing else works including, voice and assisted GPS. This actually happened in a plane crash in BC. Now consider this: If the iPhone is jailbroken one can obtain the GPS coordinates without using AGPS, but only if the iPhone is jailbroken since the application to do this was censored by Apple.

Now consider a situation where there are people with life threatening injuries in a remote area. The ability to send a text message to the rescuers with the GPS coordinates is a matter of life and death.

You know, that is a good point and something I did not know about the iPhone.

It reminds me of the biker who was riding in some trails and got hurt. She sent out a twitter message for help. Not quite a text but along the same lines.

HappinessNow
September 10th, 2010, 07:02 AM

Worry is a bit strong of a word, more like confuses me. To me it is a path to something else, not a door that I don't know what to do when it is open.

^This.

It happens all the time, then people start posting complaints in android forums about things not working or only working sometimes and they expect help from Sprint or HTC, which is even funnier.

That is so right

Sorry guys that I don't have a higher meaning and purpose behind rooting my Nexus one, I primarily rooted to have the ability to take screenshots and benefit from other root-dependent widgets.

Now I am thinking about installing the Cyanogen ROM to hopefully get increased better performance.

I got a little excited and happy to find that rooting is so simple and nice to know installing alternative ROM's is just as simple.

Here are some screenshots of my phone now rooted but NO alternative ROM installed yet:

treesurf
September 11th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I rooted my GSM HTC Hero a few days ago. Advantages have included being able to overclock, being able to run Android 2.2, custom ROMs, etc. Previously the phone was a slow, frustrating to use device with the stock HTC 2.1 update. Now it's fast, clean of apps I don't need, and more fully featured. That's why I rooted. :)

HappinessNow
September 12th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I rooted my GSM HTC Hero a few days ago. Advantages have included being able to overclock, being able to run Android 2.2, custom ROMs, etc. Previously the phone was a slow, frustrating to use device with the stock HTC 2.1 update. Now it's fast, clean of apps I don't need, and more fully featured. That's why I rooted. :)Which Overclock app are you using?

The thing I really like about rooting is the ability to use a Terminal Emulator, which makes life so much easier (great for removing bloatware & many other things of course).

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=169252&d=1284309005

treesurf
September 12th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I'm currently using CPUSpeed, because that's the one that came with the custom ROM I'm using. It does seem simpler and lighter than SetCPU, which I like. It allows me to set a min and max speed, as well as setting CPU usage mode (e.g. interactive, on demand, conserative, etc.) for both when the screen is on and off. And that's all I need it to do. Currently running On Demand with screen on, and Conservative with screen off. This makes for good battery savings.

EDIT: just checked the Market for CPUSpeed and did not see it there. It may take some searching of the xda forums to find it. Also, I'm not sure how it is for the Nexus1, but for my Hero it was necessary to flash a custom kernel to allow overclocking.

HappinessNow
September 12th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I'm currently using CPUSpeed, because that's the one that came with the custom ROM I'm using. It does seem simpler and lighter than SetCPU, which I like. It allows me to set a min and max speed, as well as setting CPU usage mode (e.g. interactive, on demand, conserative, etc.) for both when the screen is on and off. And that's all I need it to do. Currently running On Demand with screen on, and Conservative with screen off. This makes for good battery savings.

EDIT: just checked the Market for CPUSpeed and did not see it there. It may take some searching of the xda forums to find it. Also, I'm not sure how it is for the Nexus1, but for my Hero it was necessary to flash a custom kernel to allow overclocking.Hey Thanks I am using setCPU.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=169278&d=1284314886

treesurf
September 12th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Looks good. If you want to get better battery life you can set your minimum speed to much lower than what you have in that screenshot. Below 500mhz probably. If you have problems getting the unlock screen to come up then turn the minimum speed up a bit.

I'm running min/max of 176-614mhz (HTC Hero has much slower processor!). When the screen is on it's set to On Demand. When it's off it's set to Conservative. I've had no problems with this, and it definitely improves battery life.

HappinessNow
September 12th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Looks good. If you want to get better battery life you can set your minimum speed to much lower than what you have in that screenshot. Below 500mhz probably. If you have problems getting the unlock screen to come up then turn the minimum speed up a bit.

I'm running min/max of 176-614mhz (HTC Hero has much slower processor!). When the screen is on it's set to On Demand. When it's off it's set to Conservative. I've had no problems with this, and it definitely improves battery life.

Thanks treesurf for the helpful advice, I adjusted my minimum and set to ondemand, I also set up a profile for when the screen is off:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=169279&d=1284316341

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=169280&d=1284316341

one question I have is in using SetCPU I didn't see a Conservative option for the screen off mode, I have 3 options: ondemand, userspace, and performance. Would userspace be equivalent to your conservative option?

Edit: found the full explanation here: http://www.pokedev.com/setcpu/

CPU Scaling Governors
CPU governors control exactly how the CPU scales between your "max" and "min" set frequencies. Most kernels have "ondemand" and "performance." The availability

ondemand - Available in most kernels, and the default governor in most kernels. When the CPU load reaches a certain point (see "up threshold" in Advanced Settings), ondemand will rapidly scale the CPU up to meet demand, then gradually scale the CPU down when it isn't needed.

conservative - Available in some kernels. It is similar to the ondemand governor, but will scale the CPU up more gradually to better fit demand. Conservative provides a less responsive experience than ondemand, but can save battery.

performance - Available in most kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the "max" set value at all times. This is a bit more efficient than simply setting "max" and "min" to the same value and using ondemand because the system will not waste resources scanning for the CPU load. This governor is recommended for stable benchmarking.

powersave - Available in some kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the "min" set value at all times.

userspace- A method for controlling the CPU speed that isn't currently used by SetCPU. For best results, do not use the userspace governor.

treesurf
September 12th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Cool. From there it's just a matter of seeing how the phone responds and performs and tweaking bit by bit to get it just right. :)

amitabhishek
September 12th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Please perform the backup of factory ROM before you decide to replace it with Cyanogen's or someone else's.

HappinessNow
September 12th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Cool. From there it's just a matter of seeing how the phone responds and performs and tweaking bit by bit to get it just right. :)Thanks again it is greatly appreciated.