PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] default app change

newdude23
September 9th, 2010, 05:54 AM
hey i'm new to ubuntu. i just installed it the other day and firefox won't work on it. i loaded a different browser (arora) and i'm not having any problems with it or my network connection. i would like to change my default browser from firefox to arora but i can't find where i can do that. any suggestions?

lechien73
September 9th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu, first of all :)

Go to System > Preferences > Preferred Applications. You can set your default browser there. If your browser is not listed, then choose Custom and type in the command to start Arora.

newdude23
September 9th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Okay that worked but now I have a different problem. Apparently, Flash plugin only works in Firefox and Seamonkey when you're using Ubuntu, but I have the same problem with both when I open them. A page comes up that says...
The connection has timed out

The server at start.ubuntu.com is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Okay, this message comes up everytime on Firefox. There's nothing wrong with my network connection and I don't have a firewall (unless Ubuntu came with one that I don't know about) Firefox has been doing this since I installed the OS. Any suggestions?

lovinglinux
September 10th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Have you tried to disable ipv6? See the fifth item on this list (http://firefox-tutorials.blogspot.com/2010/05/common-issues-solutions.html).