PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] window manager modification

lucid42day
September 9th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Hi forums. Long time listener, first time caller.

I've been given something of a project at work. My boss has a large number of semi-obsolete boxes but doesn't have the budget for new boxes. He wants to run a Linux distro on these that start the VMware View client so users can just type their username/password in this "strange window" and get a Windows VM. I've got that much working but I'm having a lot of trouble paring down the Xfce (4.6x?) environment so that users have only three options: Firefox, View client, Log out.

I've tried hacking at the menu stuff, I've tried Xfce "kiosk mode" stuff, but nothing seems to work. This user still has access to all of the application menus and can change just about every setting.

Someone else had started this and started with Xubuntu/Xfce, I don't know why. All I'm really looking for is basically something to throw a pretty picture in the background, fire up the View client, and present a browser option, the client option, and a logout or shutdown option. Would Windowmaker be easier to neuter? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

PS. Probably not relevant, but this is Xubuntu 9.04. I needed USBFS to get View to stop complaining and go ahead and redirect USB.