PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing on External Drive

nikRbokR
September 8th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew a good/easy method of installing Ubuntu to an external drive.

I have Windows 7 installed on the HD in my laptop and I'm using some of the space on my external drive already. But I was just planning on using Gparted and adding a partition to my external drive.

From there, I would assume that it's as simple as installing with the Live CD (making sure to put the boot loader onto the Ubuntu partition on the external drive) but I've tried doing this some time before and it's been a pain.

From what I remember, I had to go and mess around with some of the files associated with boot up to rearrange some of the hard drive information.

I was hoping that there's an easier way to do this now (I'm pretty sure I tried it with 7.10, so it's been a while).

Thanks!

azurehi
September 8th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I hope someone will provide instructions on how to install to an external HDD...I am very interested in trying that myself on my main computer, which runs XP (because of certain programs that help my partially sighted wife).

From 9.10 on, I have great difficulty installing Ubuntu because of Nvidia problems, i.e., not being able to see mouse pointer after updating. I Now use PCLinuxOS and everything just works...you might try it to see if the wireless issue is not a problem.