PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DVD Disc Burning Issue Solved

SVEN1
September 8th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Since installing Ubuntu on my new built computer 1 1/2 years ago spent countless hours trying to get my DVD burners to burn a readable CD or DVD with out errors. Spent too much time reading posts about others with similar problems who have tried every burning software made for Linux. Still no success getting the burner to burn. Tried numerous software myself and wasted countless amount of discs in search of the Holy Grail.

Finally found the Holy Grail for my computer. Spotted one line in someones post that triggered an idea. Get rid of my two burners which were IDE and try a different brand. Better than that, decided to get a SATA DVD Burner and see what happens. BINGO!!
Ubuntu using K3b burned a perfect DVD on the first try. Can open and view all file formats burned to it.

Should have bought the SATA Burner when I built my computer. But, at the time magazines and on the web, stated at the time there was no real benefit to switching from IDE to SATA if you already had IDE. I year and a half of hair pulling could have been avoided if I just had bought a SATA.

For those that are interested I purchased a new ASUS DRW-24B1ST
SATA for $28.00 locally, you can find them as low as $24.00 on the web.

Now I can back up my Documents and picture files, whippie:p