PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 freezes as soon as I see the mouse

cbctechhead
September 8th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Hi everyone, I have an Asus Mobo P5KE Wifi edition with an intel Quad core CPU 4Gb Ram running dual 40Gb HDD's on IDE. REALLY OLD nvidia 4 32mb mem.

WHAT I DON'T HAVE: 24pin multivolt power plug (i'm using 20pin)
8pin 12V plug (i'm using 4pin) - I only have an old 300W PSU
SATA drives none at all

What happened is i installed 10.04 on an old Mobo (MSI) swapped to this new one and when i get to the login screen i can move the mouse for 1 second, it leaves a trail then freezes. On the Same PC I also have Ubuntu 9.04 it still works fine on the new Mobo.

So I see 3 options: 1 the graphics card is too old/dodgy. 2 it needs all the power sockets filled (possibly - LPIA Low Power on Intel Architecture, apparently not supported in Ubuntu v10 or 3 something else .......

Any Ideas anyone?

cbctechhead
September 8th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I have also tried to install ubuntu studio 10.04 from clean but as soon as the GUI comes up in the boot, it freezes again

thanks cbctechhead

PippoFranco
September 9th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I have the same problem with my old ACER TravelMate 370. It works fine with 9.10 if I try to install 10.04 or 10.04.1 the live CD hangs when the X system starts. Any suggestion to fix the problem? If I install the new system (eg from the alternate CD) it works only with the rescue X.

Franco

cbctechhead
September 10th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I just found to get around the problem i have to boot into recovery mode then chose the little or no graphics mode (whichever way it pushes you) and then it boots alright

cbctechhead