PDA

View Full Version : KDE apps under Gnome

arcelivez
September 8th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Hello,

Why do we devalue KDE apps? Or is it just me?
I wanted to ask for you opinion guys. Somewhat I am rather new to Linux and Ubuntu. But somehow I intuitively try to avoid installing kde apps if possible, I try to see whether the gnome alternative is available. Using KDE apps is in a way more like using windows apps through Wine, even though, they work fine and stable most of the time I guess? Or am I wrong?

What do you people think? Using KDE apps under Gnome?

All I've seen discussed on forums about this was that KDE apps install some additional KDE libraries. Considering my personal experience I've used Amarok and some Umbrello, they both have some bugs under Gnome.

So is it really better to prefer gnome apps so much more than KDE apps? Since I hear there are really great apps on KDE like KTorrent for instance.

Is it always buggy when it comes to KDE apps under Gnome or should I just install the apps freely, not caring whether it's for Gnome or KDE?

I really am interested to discuss this with you guys, since I don't have a big mileage with Ubuntu and I avoid KDE apps, I also wonder how other new users react to KDE apps?

Please share your opinions/experience/tipps and so on. :)

wojox
September 8th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Using KDE apps is in a way more like using windows apps through Wine, even though, they work fine and stable most of the time I guess? Or am I wrong?

No way. Kde and Gnome apps go together like peas and carrots (Forrest Gump). I've never had any problems using them together.

As long as you stay within the Ubuntu repositories you should be fine. ;)

Smart Viking
September 8th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Hello,
Is it always buggy when it comes to KDE apps under Gnome or should I just install the apps freely, not caring whether it's for Gnome or KDE?

KDE programs might have some problems running in gnome. but for the most they work nice, from my experience.

If i want to use a KDE application i doesn't use a fraction of a second to deside if i shouldn't install it because it's kde, i would just install it and see how it works. :)

cariboo
September 8th, 2010, 02:50 AM
This isn't a support question, moved to the Cafe.

inobe
September 8th, 2010, 03:29 AM
i think you just need to find what works for you however this takes time, i won't try and justify anything but it's what happened to me.

eventually later on you will choose a d.e. and stick with it because it will work for you and suit your needs.

you will then stick with apps particular to that d.e.

now it may not be completely perfect !

for example: i need to use pidgin on my kde d.e. because i can't figure out for the life of me why i can't send a file over my lan/ bonjour messenger...

it works well with kde's kopete, just cant transfer files.

everything else is bliss, i do tons of things, and i can understand one or two gnome apps, nothing more than that.

Thryn
September 8th, 2010, 04:27 AM
The only problem I've had with KDE apps in GNOME is with ones that play sounds... I don't seem to be able to play sounds using both KDE and GNOME libraries at the same time. So I gave up on Amarok. But I never had problems with Kate, KTorrent etc etc. I never installed any KDE apps aside from the default Kubuntu set though.

neoargon
September 8th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Kde apps in ubuntu and Gnome apps in kubuntu works wery well . But one might need to install extra libraries when installing in other Desktop.

Kde apps can look exactly like gnome apps . But Gnome apps is a pain to work in kde theme . Thats all

Dragonbite
September 8th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Hello,

Why do we devalue KDE apps? Or is it just me?
I wanted to ask for you opinion guys. Somewhat I am rather new to Linux and Ubuntu. But somehow I intuitively try to avoid installing kde apps if possible, I try to see whether the gnome alternative is available. Using KDE apps is in a way more like using windows apps through Wine, even though, they work fine and stable most of the time I guess? Or am I wrong?

All I've seen discussed on forums about this was that KDE apps install some additional KDE libraries. Considering my personal experience I've used Amarok and some Umbrello, they both have some bugs under Gnome.

So is it really better to prefer gnome apps so much more than KDE apps? Since I hear there are really great apps on KDE like KTorrent for instance.

I really am interested to discuss this with you guys, since I don't have a big mileage with Ubuntu and I avoid KDE apps, I also wonder how other new users react to KDE apps?

Please share your opinions/experience/tipps and so on. :)

In most cases there is an environment-orientated version of an app so one may wonder why use something else?

I think it is the feeling that you are adding additional libraries (bloat) to your system and it is going to make it run slower.

That, and the style looks "off" most of the time.

Plus, the menus are different. Most Gnome apps have Preferences under Edit while KDE apps have Configure xyz under System.

I've usually gone with Gnome apps in Gnome, and KDE apps in KDE but I have to say after using DigiKam for a little bit, I'm planning on using that for my digital photos. Mind you this is after my latest use (pictures of the kids' first day of school and uploading them to Picasaweb) in which F-Spot was a little easier to use (intuitive?) than Shotwell but DigitKam kicked both of their butts!

Right now, though, I'm starting to use KDE but miss some of my good 'ol standby Gnome apps; Cheese (WebKam doesn't work) and Empathy (Kopete doesn't do Facebook and Google Chat with video).

Khakilang
September 8th, 2010, 02:07 PM
When I first install Linux. I didn't know anything about desktop environment. I just install apps form the repo without knowing its a KDE apps or Gnome apps. All I know it work.

oldos2er
September 8th, 2010, 10:51 PM

Never had a problem with it.

NightwishFan
September 8th, 2010, 11:01 PM
No issues here. I believe you can even run Gnome with Plasma if you desire.

Crempel
September 8th, 2010, 11:22 PM
I agree with all previous statements that KDE apps run well under gnome and blend in well with the gtk theme, and one can live with the additional qt dependencies that have to be downloaded.
The quality of the application should be the deciding factor, and in quite a few cases the KDE apps are simply superior (IMHO) to their Gnome counterparts: k3b and digikam have no real match in the gtk world I think, and they both run without problems under Gnome. As mentioned in some other post: stick to the normal repositories (not ppa) - when I installed the latest Kubuntu-ppa (upgrading the KDE components to 4.5.1) I ran into trouble deep.):P

Dragonbite
September 9th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I think in the past,the applications looked uglier and didn't play as well in the "other" desktop environment. Chances are this has been becoming less and less of a factor.

BrokenKingpin
September 9th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I don't mind running the odd QT application, but avoid most the the 'K' applications as it brings in far too many libs and it is not worth it for one application.

I rarely see the need to run a QT/KDE application of the GTK/Gnome counterpart anyway.