PDA

View Full Version : What is the fastest release of Ubuntu?

OpressedCalamity
September 7th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Just wondering.. what is probably the fastest release of Ubuntu, performance wise?
So far I think Jaunty maybe.
And 8.10 being the fastest, what do you guys think?

wojox
September 7th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I've only been using Ubuntu since 8.10 and they have all been fast. Of course I tweak what I can and keep it clean.

OpressedCalamity
September 7th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I've only been using Ubuntu since 8.10 and they have all been fast. Of course I tweak what I can and keep it clean.

One.. has to be faster then the other

wojox
September 7th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Well if we are talking vanilla 9.10 or 10.04. :)

Rasa1111
September 7th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Ive only had experience with 7.10, 9.10 and 10.04,
but 10.04 is faster than any OS ive ever used, period.
9.10 is next in line.

mrgs
September 7th, 2010, 11:19 PM
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=category&item=Distributions

OpressedCalamity
September 7th, 2010, 11:32 PM
8.10 and 9.10 I've had good luck with. :)

Dr. C
September 8th, 2010, 07:26 AM
6.10 and 7.04 were the only versions that ran on the following:

Processor 400 MHz Celeron
Ram 192 MB
Video 2.5 MB

Earlier and later versions were to much for the video.

garvinrick4
September 8th, 2010, 08:17 AM
The one using the fastest processor and the most RAM

sikander3786
September 8th, 2010, 08:39 AM
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=category&item=Distributions
I was looking for a link like that.

In most of the cases older Ubuntu versions are beating the newer one's. Is the OS getting heavier day by day? Or the new software being developed is intended to run on newer hardware?

In some cases Fedora13, PCLinuxOS and MeeGo have out classed Ubuntu by a little margin. Not considerable though... As I am not a Linux fan... I'm an Ubuntu fan... LOL

For me the faster Ubuntu version has been 10.04. Really surprised me with the boot times. On my machine it is nearly half than that of 9.10, and system responsiveness also much better.

mrgs
September 8th, 2010, 08:42 AM
If you want something really fast while staying with 10.04, a minimal install is the way to go.

Khakilang
September 8th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I have use 8.10 to 10.04 and they all are fast so I never really test it out. I am not that picky of that few ms speed.

desnaike
September 8th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I've used Ubuntu since 6.06 on 3 different desktops 2 laptops with hardware thats 100% linux compatible, gigs of ram, fast and compatible video ati/nvidia cards and each new version has been better than what preceded it. So I think that the hardware has a lot to do with it and user experience level.

Spice Weasel
September 8th, 2010, 05:35 PM
5.10 and 6.06 have both been amazingly fast for me.

LowSky
September 8th, 2010, 06:32 PM
How are you guys measuring speed?

To me the OS seems about the same for every version I've used, maybe a quicker boot time, but I don't usually sit around and count it.

The only time I think about about speed is encoding a media file, and that is more related to processor speed.

MasterNetra
September 8th, 2010, 06:37 PM
The one using the fastest processor and the most RAM

I believe the OP is referring to which release is fastest. As in, which is release is fastest on the same hardware set.

Zlatan
September 8th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Just wondering.. what is probably the fastest release of Ubuntu, performance wise?
So far I think Jaunty maybe.
And 8.10 being the fastest, what do you guys think?

it was warthy wardog (http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/4.10/) of course:)

chriswyatt
September 8th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Yeah, seems about the same for me as well. Because I haven't done a clean install in ages I have a lot of rubbish installed though, so it's difficult for me to say. I think it might be a little snappier.

Any good comparisons between Ubuntu versions out there? I tried Googling but couldn't find any.

ssam
September 8th, 2010, 08:05 PM
depends on the machine, and how you define fast.

boot time and shut down time has generally got faster for new releases. disk checks used to be slow, but ext4 has fixed that.

a few years ago gnome got a lot of optimisation. they dropped the splash screen, because it was not longer needed

in general graphics acceleration has got better, the the GUI seems more responsive. switching to compiz made the GUI feel more responsive (applications do not need to redraw so much).

default memory usage has increase (more background tasks). if you have lots of memory (more that 1GB) then this makes little difference. if you have less than 512MB you would see a big slow down.

some kernel changes have favoured big tasks, over interactive tasks (throughput vs latency). it is much easier to benchmark and improve the former. it looks like they are beginning to get on top of this.

NightwishFan
September 8th, 2010, 09:19 PM
As far as benchmarks go later releases perform consistently better. The exception is ext4, which in 10.04 seems to perform poorly at some tasks. It excels at others. As for boot speed, I have no evidence of this, but I swear 9.04 (Jaunty) was the fastest for me. The best way to answer this is use the latest, unless you have a specific hardware need. Some releases may have better compatible drivers than others, it is all up to the upstream at the time.

Try 10.04 AMD64 with the Generic or Server kernels and ext3. :)

Dustin2128
September 8th, 2010, 11:58 PM
well hardy and karmic both run rather slowly on my desktop (that I got working!) for whatever reason. Haven't gotten the chance to upgrade to lucid yet.