PDA

View Full Version : Java / Swing problem

matty-guy
September 7th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I've started doing my computing in 6th form (college) and it went okay, but once I got home I wanted to try the stuff I'd learnt. I installed all the Java packages I was told I'd need, installed NetBeans and Geany to see if much differed and gave it a go.

The code we were given was something like this

import javax.Swing.JOptionPane;
public class Numbers {
public static void main (String args [])
{
int blah;
blah= 66;

JOptionPane.showMessageDialog (null, "My number is" + blah);

System.exit (0);
}
}

The problem I have is that in NetBeans, I get an error next to the first like and 'JOptionPane...' line, saying ' package javax.Swing does not exist'. Geany won't compile my program, I assume for the same reason. The code up there worked at school, unless I made a silly error copying it over. Anyone know what's up or how to fix it? I've tried this on my 9.04 Crunchbang and the new Linux Mint.

KdotJ
September 7th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Your problem is a simple mistake in your import, "Swing" should have a lowercase s

import javax.swing.JOptionPane;

matty-guy
September 7th, 2010, 10:04 PM
:oops: Thanks! I'm gonna have a tough time with the case sensitivity.

KdotJ
September 7th, 2010, 10:07 PM
:oops: Thanks! I'm gonna have a tough time with the case sensitivity.

lol you'll get used to it. I'm sure your course will explain naming conventions, e.g. for variables and methods.

firefly2442
September 7th, 2010, 10:31 PM
You may want to try the Eclipse IDE. If you are missing an "import" it's nice about telling you.

KdotJ
September 7th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Netbeans has the same feature too, it's nice. If, for example the OP didn't import anything, but called the JOptionPane.showMessageDialog method in their code, netbeans will automatically add the needed import to the source file