PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best way to manage and organize passwords

eshant_engineer
September 7th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I want to know what is the best way in ubuntu to store, manage and organize password.

I own a website and want to keep changing password for security. Please suggest me some solutions.

Thank You

sgosnell
September 7th, 2010, 06:53 PM
What passwords are you talking about? Yours? User login passwords? Access passwords?

M93
September 7th, 2010, 06:57 PM
whats the diff between login and access passwords?

CharlesA
September 7th, 2010, 06:57 PM
keepassx works for me. :)

eshant_engineer
September 7th, 2010, 07:37 PM

But sometimes I shutdown system without properly closing it...so changes get lost

bodhi.zazen
September 7th, 2010, 08:10 PM

+1

keepassx is also crossplatform, encrypted, and runs off a USB.

But sometimes I shutdown system without properly closing it...so changes get lost

There is no software solution for that. And yes, that is a bad habit and can (will) result in data loss on any OS with any application.

sgosnell
September 7th, 2010, 08:22 PM
For personal passwords, I use Pyring. It's probably not the best solution for everyone, but I had years of passwords and other data in a Palm Keyring database, and I needed something that would use that data, and runs on Maemo. Pyring is the only thing I could find that does all that. I looked at Keepassx, but it won't import anything I have, and the lack of an import/export capability is a deal-killer for me.

bodhi.zazen
September 7th, 2010, 08:42 PM
For personal passwords, I use Pyring. It's probably not the best solution for everyone, but I had years of passwords and other data in a Palm Keyring database, and I needed something that would use that data, and runs on Maemo. Pyring is the only thing I could find that does all that. I looked at Keepassx, but it won't import anything I have, and the lack of an import/export capability is a deal-killer for me.

keepassx exports to several formats (text, html, xml, and csv). You should be able to import one or more of those formats (I would venture).

There are several options within the export dialog (for what data to include or exclude, how to specify a new line /n , etc).

eshant_engineer
September 7th, 2010, 09:24 PM
what about lastpass addon on firefox? Is it trustworthy and secure?

sgosnell
September 7th, 2010, 11:50 PM
The problem is importing. I have years of passwords in another format, and I ain't about to type all of them individually into keepassx or any other password safe. Pyring isn't ideal, but it works well enough.

bodhi.zazen
September 7th, 2010, 11:57 PM
The problem is importing. I have years of passwords in another format, and I ain't about to type all of them individually into keepassx or any other password safe. Pyring isn't ideal, but it works well enough.

That makes more sense (importing).

You can not export into a csv and then import ? What a pain ...

Arla
September 8th, 2010, 12:01 AM

+2 - Works great and is cross-platform so I can use it at work on my windows PC as well as at home.