PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] re-install ubuntu and keep wine software?

jfreak_
September 7th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I know the topic is a bit vague, but couldn't phrase it better. Anyway, I have a legit copy of MS office installed (its actually the last of the 3 licences that you get with home&student), and I want to reinstall ubuntu. As you are well aware, installing office required some winetricks stuff and some dll over-rides. So when I re-install ubuntu, is there any way to retain MS office flawlessly? Will simply copying back /.wine work?

howefield
September 7th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Will simply copying back /.wine work?

I believe it will.

If you don't get confirmation here, you could also try if you haven't already, the support at winehq, where you'll find a well populated irc channel, wiki, and forum ect.

http://www.winehq.org/help/

cwwilson721
September 7th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I know the topic is a bit vague, but couldn't phrase it better. Anyway, I have a legit copy of MS office installed (its actually the last of the 3 licences that you get with home&student), and I want to reinstall ubuntu. As you are well aware, installing office required some winetricks stuff and some dll over-rides. So when I re-install ubuntu, is there any way to retain MS office flawlessly? Will simply copying back /.wine work?If you backup entire ~/.wine, and copy that back, yes

cheekyangel
September 11th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Hey jfreak! Just some words of encouragement for you.
howefield and cwwilson742 are right.
Those are the exact thing i did with my ubuntu and wine.
And i never had a problem with it, in fact i am enjoying it up to this far.

Hope this confirmation will help you decide.

YokoZar
September 12th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Please note you'll be missing the start menu entries if you just copy ~/.wine

onemyndseye
September 13th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Copying your wine prefix to another install/machine *should* work. But as noted above youll be missing the menu entries although this isnt exactly a deal breaker.. Infact I think winemenubuilder may fix this on first run after the copy

if not the you can search for exe's later with:

find ~/.wine -name "*.exe" -not -wholename ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/*

However it should be noted that not *ALL* software will work OK this way. I cant personally speak for MS Office but Winamp does not like having its prefix transported to a new machine. YMMV.

At any rate the WINE wiki states that *most* software should work as intended this way. If ur in doubt create a Ubuntu install inside VirtualBox and try copying your Wine prefix in and running office. If it works then your golden :)