PDA

View Full Version : Irritating Events... :(

feardotcom
September 7th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Yeah so, this keeps bugging me and i just had to vent about it and since this is the only forum im a member of and i have no friends on facebook, you're the ones who get to hear it. lol

So it all started two weekends ago, i got tired of my phenom x4 computer heating my tiny room up to 180 degrees during the day and 140 degrees at night. Makes you sweat like a pig, and its just not comfortable right? right. Anyway, i decided to get my G4 mac out of the closet and use that instead, gave me a chance to get my hands wet with xcode for bit, or not. I soon realized this G4 cant even handle playing videos on hulu, much less software development. So i decided i would look into getting a processor upgrade for my ever aging G4 MDD mac, i was going all out and getting the dual 1.42ghz, untill i saw the price anyway. As i was looking i came across a listing on ebay for a late 2005 model G5, no reserve, bid is at $2.50, this thing is susposedly loaded right. pci-e graphics, ddr2 533 ram, dual core, not dual cpu, sata hard drive, superdrive, The very last model made before the intel's were released. But, it would hang up on the boot screen. So i was like, "ok, its probably just a bad ram stick or possibly a bad hard drive." Both of wich i could replace with spare parts. So i bidded on it, knowing that it could be something worse but the machine wasn't to out of date that it wouldn't be worth fixing. 3 days before auction end, the bid is up to 51 now, the seller emails me asking me if i want to close the auction early, so i was like yeah thats fine, the sooner the better, was my thought. He shiped it out late, which annoyed me. I paid for it on friday, didn't ship till wedneday, and finally got it on friday(the past friday.) I was all excited and everything. I took it fromt he UPS guy like it was crack cocaine ran up to my room like a kid on christmas day running back to him room with his toys. I already knew the G5 had problem so i pulled my spare hard drive and my spare dd2 pc2-4200 ram out of the box of "Never used, not gonna use, but gonna keep the sh** anyway" box. But before i do anything, i plug it in. It does exactly what he says it does, so i was like "ok", and started to pull the side of the case off and removed the ram. Now i should add that he said it only had 512mb, and there was 4 sticks of 256. Last i checked 256 x 4 > 512? or not? So i was like whatever, the guy cant count. Went to put in my extra ram, and low and behold, it doesn't fit. I look at my ram and it says its the right ram as he listed and im like WTF man. So i look at the ram sticks from the mac and its DDR PC3200. I look at the video card and im like "Wait a minute, thats not pci-e" and first thought is "no $%^&ing way dude." I flip the mac over to get the serial number off the bottom and look it up and sure enough thats the mac i have on my desk. About that time, i notice out of the corner of my eye my G4 taking a noise dive off the side of my desk, and i immediatly reach over to grab it and **WHAM** the thing hits the floor so hard that it got my roomies to asking what happened. I pick it up off the floor set it to the side to plug it back up later after i finished with the G5. I continue to research on my laptop and tinker witht he G5 and finally came to the conclusion it either has a bad logic board or bad cpu. So at this point im already irritated about the wrong specs on the mac. It has ancient ram, though not as ancient as my G4 by any means, and it has AGP graphics card. Can you even buy AGP graphics cards anymore without buying used on ebay? Anyway, plug everything back up to my mac to contact the seller. I go to press the power button, and guess what, no power, not even a flicker of light. Change cables, mess with the sure prtector and... nothing. So i open the side of the case look in, see if something just got disconnected. Everything looks fine, so i pull the PSU out, first thing i hear is something moving inside, like a big chunk, i just put the PSU back in, closed the case and put the G4 back where i got it from. I closed up the G5; pushed it to the side. Rihgt then i remembered i had a 8800gtx in my phenom PC and i was like "Duh, theres my heat issue" so i took it out of my computer, and went to get my 8800gs (single slot vs double slot) and slapped that baby in, now i should note that i had to send this in for rma a few years back because of a dvi issue, and i decided to to also take the hard drive out of the G5 and put it in my pc for extra storage. so i spent some time moving cables around, i no longer needed that extra pci-e power cable so i took that out of my case. Redid some cable management, if you could call it that, and plugged everything in and turned it on and the damn thing had the same issue witht he dvi port as its brother did a few years ago. The second dvi port turns the screen purple, out of all colors, purple... Thats besides the point i guess. So i unplugged my second monitor so i dont screw soemthing else up. By this time im extremely ticked off. In a matter of 6-8 hours time i have discovered a G5 thats not what i paid for, i destroyed my G4, and i killed my video card that doesn't get hot. What else could go wrong i tell myself. The next day i decide i want to test out virtualbox on linux partition, It tells me i need to enabe AMD-V in my bios, so i do, then it tells me i need to update my bios, so i roll over to windows get on gigabyte get the @bios program and update my bios. I restart, my computer just hangs there for like 15 mins and im like "WTF man" and then...it comes up with successful. So i restart again, log into windows by accident and soon as i type my password i get "You current install of windows is not geniune, please call -some number- or buy a legal version of Windows 7" so im like cursing up a storm now, yelling, bad words flying, neighbors asking my roomies what my problem is. So i finally calm down and sit at the desk, boot in linux, look at my disk utility and im just stairing at it. So i say screw it, and i click my windows drive, and format. I then proceed to virtual box, i pop in a old copy of XP i had install it on virtualbox. So im completly free of windows except visual studio 2010 express in a virtual machine of win xp. Have to buy a new video card, and i got screwed out of $110. Even more if you count the G4 and the $180 (at the time i ordered it anyway) video card i have to replace.

So thanks for reading me post about my crappy weekend, i hope yours was better, and i hope my post isn't deleted for semi bad language (i atleast $%^& <-- did that to it) and only on 2 words i think, anyway. BYE! ):P

TheOnlyMrK
September 7th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Damn. I know how that is though with the days (and sometimes weeks) of bad computer luck. I have the newest version of the G4 with a bunch of upgrades and all it does is sit and collect dust in my shed. If it wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg to ship the 40+pound thing I'd let you have it. Lol

feardotcom
September 7th, 2010, 10:04 AM
lol, yeah the shipping cost more than G4's are worth now adays..i remember a few years back you could sell a G4 for like 250 some times more depending on the specs. I paid 275 for mine i think 3 or 4 years ago.

Dayofswords
September 7th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Can you even buy AGP graphics cards anymore without buying used on ebay?http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600007850&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

juancarlospaco
September 7th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Give the Phenom to me

feardotcom
September 7th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Give the Phenom to me

Haha, no... Its what im using now. Got the heat issue semi-fixed :-/

Swagman
September 7th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Aaaaargh

Phil Spectre

Wall of text

TheOnlyMrK
September 7th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Also, are you sure the purple screen isn't a problem with your monitor cable? Cause my screen turns purple sometimes and all I do is kick the DVI cable then it fixes itself. And it's not just my computer I've done that with... library computers, school computers, friends computers, so imo try a new monitor cable.

cj.surrusco
September 7th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Also, are you sure the purple screen isn't a problem with your monitor cable? Cause my screen turns purple sometimes and all I do is kick the DVI cable then it fixes itself. And it's not just my computer I've done that with... library computers, school computers, friends computers, so imo try a new monitor cable.

I had that problem too, on the GPU listed in my specs. I replaced the cable that split the output for two monitors and it's fine now.

LowSky
September 7th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I spent my weekend playing flip cup with friends, Oonly to come home to a locked up PC that needed it's BIOS reset to reboot properly.

So much for that RMA I just did... I was hoping it would last a bit longer.

Rasa1111
September 7th, 2010, 08:22 PM
damn man,
sorry to hear that. :(

The Universe can be one funky , hard to understand *female dog* at times. lol

Crazy how soo much can be thrown at us at once,
but it's also crazy how we can get through it and still be 'sane'.

Who knows what the lessons were that you needed to learn from this weekend,
but there is always a lesson in it somewhere, right?

I dont use ebay, so Im not sure on it;s policies,
But is there not a way to get your money back from this shady fella?
or at least prevent him from robbing someone else?

at least there is karma..
and that will get him for sure.
It probably does everyday. lol ;)

Sucks that people have to be so....
well....
so sucky.

I like the way you write/word things.. lol
your train of thought is pleasant to read..
(even if you did make it a "wall-o-text") :lol: ;)

Thanks for sharing your less then pleasant weekend with us.
it was a pleasure to read, really. :) lol

Here's hoping that the Universe hands you a basket of flowers next time, instead of a basket of turds. lol

(hey, at least you can grow flowers with turds!) :lol:

feardotcom
September 7th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I had that problem too, on the GPU listed in my specs. I replaced the cable that split the output for two monitors and it's fine now.

I've tried a different cable and it still does it. I tried a different monitor also.

@rasa1111

Yeah i actually read over it earlier; i should have really grammar/spell checked it but i didn't cause i was at work lol. Yeah the only lesson i can find that the universe is telling me is "Stay the hell off mac and windows!"

Rasa1111
September 7th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Yeah the only lesson i can find that the universe is telling me is "Stay the hell off mac and windows!"

haha, yeah..
funny, it told me the same thing man.
lol
It knows... :lol: ;)

feardotcom
September 7th, 2010, 10:08 PM
lol, yeah, i guess it does... If i didn't need visul studio i would probably delete the VM of xp. I've beat my addiction to windows games, outside of wow, and can deal with out them, just linux games from here out and im not supporting any company thats not supporting us! I have a good mind to cancel wow since they dont support linux.