PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Re install Ubuntu but keep /home

chamber
September 7th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I made a massive cockup when installing Windows 7 to a seperate partition on my hard drive and as a result of my attempting to fix GRUB I can now no longer boot into anything apart from the live cd.

I was wondering if there was a guide I could follow to show me how to reinstall Ubuntu but keep my /home folder which is on a seperate partition?

Failing that what is the best way to make a backup of my home folder and then wipe /home and /root and start again?

Elfy
September 7th, 2010, 08:04 AM
If your /home is on a seperate partition, start the installer - pick manual at the partition stage.

Select the existing / partition - Edit partition - Use as ext4,format and Mountpoint - / then save/close that window

Select the existing /home partition - Edit partition - Use as whatever it was previously, DO NOT FORMAT and Mountpoint /home - save and close that window

Check that the only partition that is going to be formatted is the existing / partition.

Carry on - that will install over the existing installation and use the old /home.

Use the same username though.

Always good to have backups though ;)

doihavetodothis?
September 7th, 2010, 08:06 AM
how to back up your home folder, at least - it worked for me:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1560044
the only thing I haven't discovered yet is how to save my mail and bookmarks... but I'll get there :)

doihavetodothis?
September 7th, 2010, 08:10 AM
If your /home is on a seperate partition, start the installer - pick manual at the partition stage.

Select the existing / partition - Edit partition - Use as ext4,format and Mountpoint - / then save/close that window

Select the existing /home partition - Edit partition - Use as whatever it was previously, DO NOT FORMAT and Mountpoint /home - save and close that window

Check that the only partition that is going to be formatted is the existing / partition.

Carry on - that will install over the existing installation and use the old /home.

Use the same username though.

aha - I just replied to this thread as well. Will this method keep my mail and bookmarks too? haven't wanted to re-install without checking that. I have Xp and Ubuntu on separate partitions. Thanks.

chamber
September 7th, 2010, 09:44 AM

Thats parfait! Will have a go at that tonight.

I usually do a backup before something like this, in my haste to get it over with I dun goofed.

Lesson learned.

Muchly appreciated.

chamber
September 8th, 2010, 10:09 AM
worked a charm and were all good to go.

forestpiskie, you are a legend. :)

Mutikasa
December 19th, 2011, 12:34 PM
SO. what happens if I choose only / folder to format and install but leave /home as it is?
Will the Ubuntu then install on / partition and there make a new folder /home?
so I will have two /home folders? one on install partition and one from before?

what about swap and NTFS partition?