PDA

View Full Version : Very Lightweight dock?

TriBlox6432
September 6th, 2010, 11:10 PM
For my netbook. Just to hold most-used applications, folders, minimized windows. Any suggestions?

jerenept
September 6th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Unity. wait for ubuntu netbook edition 10.10 it comes bbuilt in.

samigina
September 6th, 2010, 11:22 PM
wbar or adeskbar

murderslastcrow
September 7th, 2010, 12:16 AM
I don't know if wbar actually supports window management. You can always use DockBarX and you won't even need to use compositing with it, or if you want to go the distance, the most lightweight docks you can have are available on e17, without any need for compositing. Also, if you're using KDE 4 you can use Daisy, which also doesn't require compositing.

However, Cairo-dock tends to be light enough for most computers, even 384 MB of RAM. I'd steer clear of Avant and Docky, since they tend to work best on 512 MB.

medic2000
September 7th, 2010, 01:00 AM
I dont know light dock but if you want a light and great panel(better than gnome-panel i think) is tint2.

Jose Catre-Vandis
September 7th, 2010, 01:14 AM
wbar for dock (although adeskbar is a worthy contender)
tint2 for panel
and throw in devilspie for window management if needed

PC_load_letter
September 7th, 2010, 01:41 AM
I dont know light dock but if you want a light and great panel(better than gnome-panel i think) is tint2.

Just wondering, what's wrong w/ gnome panel? It could be made as large as any other panel, put on the bottom, auto-hidden, and with the background transparent, I think it would act as a light weight dock. If it walks like a "dock".....sorry couldn't resist.

PSioNiC STRaNGLeR
September 7th, 2010, 01:55 AM
I don't know if wbar actually supports window management. You can always use DockBarX and you won't even need to use compositing with it, or if you want to go the distance, the most lightweight docks you can have are available on e17, without any need for compositing. Also, if you're using KDE 4 you can use Daisy, which also doesn't require compositing.

However, Cairo-dock tends to be light enough for most computers, even 384 MB of RAM. I'd steer clear of Avant and Docky, since they tend to work best on 512 MB.

I use Cairo-dock with much less ram on a ibm thinkpad centrino and it works great

kerry_s
September 7th, 2010, 02:03 AM
docky & metacity composting

docky is dead simple, not as crashy as awn & far less complicated then cairo dock.

Delvien
September 7th, 2010, 04:18 AM
tint2 isnt really a dock, but it could serve the same purpose.

krimzonstarr
September 7th, 2010, 05:15 AM
I have a two year old Acer Aspire One ZG5 netbook and I love Docky for my desktop. Works great, and low drag on the system. Most times I use it in place of the taskbar all together. Plus, once they perfect globalmenu or stacks, there won't be any need for anything else!

Btw... Docky+Do... beautiful!

Legendary_Bibo
September 7th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I use Cairo-Dock, it doesn't seem to be a drain on the resources (80 mb RAM on my 4 GB laptop and 14 MB on my 256 MB machine). I use composition on my laptop for the effects, and it's a fun dock to have after you get it set up. It sometimes flickers for me with compiz on, but I think it's an issue with ATI cards.

shuttleworthwannabe
September 7th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I second the docky sugestion--simple and very usable compared with others in its league.

aspiredfang
September 7th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Cairo-dock gets my vote, it can be very minimal or very flashy both :D

More than that, you can do everything you want with it and much more. give it a whirl and start with it stripped back to the max and then add more to it as you see fit

fabounet
September 7th, 2010, 01:30 PM
+1 for Cairo-Dock, works great on any Netbooks (animations are very smooth)
the latest version is very easy to set up.

undecim
September 7th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I recommend Docky or Avant Window Navigator. Neither one use a noticable amount of resources (I don't think any dock does)

If you use docky though, you will want to have compositing enabled. You can either turn it on for Metacity or use xcompmgr.

Actually, I just wrote about compositing in Metacity a couple days ago. http://blog.undecim.org/2010/09/enable-compositing-in-metacity-for-compositing-without-compiz/

nilarimogard
September 7th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Does it have to be 100% a dock? Talika (http://www.webupd8.org/2010/09/talika-050-brings-changes-to-icons-pin.html) is a Gnome panel applet but it acts like a dock and is as lightweight as it gets.

nilarimogard
September 7th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I recommend Docky or Avant Window Navigator. Neither one use a noticable amount of resources (I don't think any dock does)

If you use docky though, you will want to have compositing enabled. You can either turn it on for Metacity or use xcompmgr.

Actually, I just wrote about compositing in Metacity a couple days ago. http://blog.undecim.org/2010/09/enable-compositing-in-metacity-for-compositing-without-compiz/

You should really try Docky on a slow computer... it uses a huge amount of resources and is basically unusable on the computer from which I type this. AWN works ok though.